chapter 1 - love at first sight

one day, as gaylord is walking home from their job at a local convenience store, (and after being mugged in a totally-not-at-all suspicious alleyway) they pass by a seafood restaurant. they see a small aquarium filled with shrimp. one shrimp in particular catches their eye; a real beauty.
gaylord's jaw practically drops as they see the charming little shrimp.

gaylord storms into the restaurant, shoving waiters and customers out of their path. they jam their fist into the aquarium tank, and yank out the shrimp that caught their gaze.
"hey man, whats your issue?" the shrimp demands, confused and now angry.
"nothin. its just that your irresistible attractiveness got my attention."
gaylord replies, almost drooling over the tiny shrimp, "and anyways, uh, you're kinda mine now. lets go home now, little buddy,"
they continue, grinning. everyone in the seafood restaurant watches in silence, as gaylord strides out, the shrimp still in their clutch.
the shrimp finds it odd, and intriguing, that this human has decided to take her.
she also thinks it is a bit strange,

"are you going to eat me?" she asks, cautiously.
gaylord raises an eyebrow, and can't help but let out a faint scoff, "no? why would you think that?"
the shrimp blinks, very confusedly, "then why did you even take me?"
"because you're a cutie. the most adorable and precious shrimp," gaylord replies, with the most genuine tone. they meant it.

the rest of the walk home is silent, until gaylord pipes up,
"so, uh, what's your name? assuming you have one, i mean," they ask, and continue quickly,
"i know i kinda just kidnapped you, and all, but i'd at least like to know your name."
the shrimp squints, defiantly, "and why should i tell you?"
".. because i'd like to know. like i just said," gaylord flatly states.
the shrimp looks gaylord up and down, eyeing them, and then sighs, "okay, fine. my name's shremp."
gaylord stares at the shrimp, 'shremp'. but they misheard, "shrimp? you're a shrimp... named shrimp..?" they slowly question.
"no, no, no! shremp! with an 'e'!" shremp exclaims, feeling a bit annoyed.
"that's like.. the same thing. shremp, shrimp." gaylord chuckles lightly, feeling as though the name is both stupid, but kind of precious.
"i'll love you anyways, shremp pookie," gaylord smiles, and hugs the tiny shrimp tighter.
the shrimp thinks for a moment, and then she asks, "love? you love me, a shrimp?"
"yes," gaylord replies, as if it were not strange at all. they lift shremp up, to meet their gaze. the two lock eyes for a moment, and the shrimp blushes (thought it's hard to tell because she's already red).

"now come kiss me on my hot mouth, cus im feelin romantical," gaylord smirks.
shremp is taken aback for a moment, quite flabbergasted,

"ermmm, what!.."