En plein air...1

Alice skipped through the old French town of Pluie éternelle. The puddles of water splashed beneath her shoes.

"Hello Adelaide, dear! Come to buy more bleach?" A woman's voice asked.

"Indeed." Alice Nodded and turned toward the young lady standing behind a stand. "Nikolai got mud all over her white dress again" Alice smiled and she happily twirled around. The little girl's thick light brown wavy curls flopped around as she danced over to the stand.

"Oh, It sounds as if that girl is a mess." The young woman put a hand to her cheek when she spoke, and with her free hand she grabbed a small bottle of bleach and put it near the end of the stand.

"That will be €25'' the woman smiled down at Alice as she pulled the colorful paper money out of her basket, and took the bleach. Alice took a few steps back and bowed slightly. Slightly lifting up her skirt on one side, then she turned away and continued to skip through the town.

Dixie stood in front of the window waiting for her daughter to return home. She sighed and turned to her office. Books of all genres scattered all around the room.

"Mother, Where is the mop?" Nikolai peeked her head through the office door.

"It should be in the storage closet, next to the kitchen." Dixie explained.

"Merci!" Nikolai cheerfully skipped past, leaving a trail of blood behind her.

"Nikolai?" Dixie's expiration turned worried.

"Yes, Mother?"

"Are you ok?" Dixie studied her daughter.

"Oh! Yes, there was...a little accident. In the study." Nikolai smiles warmly.

"Ok, just wait till your sister is back"

"I will!" Nikolai beamed with joy, and ran past the door.

Dixie turned to look back out the window, the evening sun shining onto her face. When she noticed a figure in the distance moving toward the house.

That must be her. Dixie thought to herself.

Nikolai jumps down the last step, almost tripping on the hem of her dark red skirt. Catching herself on the railing, she steadied herself. Looking around the foyer, she sees herself in the mirror. Pale, and tired looking. Bloody footprints following her around. As Nikolai stares at herself a wide mischievous grin takes over face.

The front door creaks open. Snapping Nikolai out from her transe.

"Hey, You guys still here?" A little girl's voice asks through the now cracked door.

"Alice! Don't scare me like that!" Nikolai protested.

"Sorry" Alice fully opened the door, stepping in.

"It's fine" Nikolai waves a hand dismissively, monotone wavering in her voice. "Oh, and I need your help cleaning something up." Nikolai gestures to the top of the stairs.

"Okay. But let me just put this away first." Alice walked toward the kitchen, leaving wet muddy footprints behind her.

"Oh great, something else to have to clean up." Nikolai muttered to herself.

Giggling as she walked away, Alice found joy in annoying her little sister every now and then. Alice strode through the kitchen to the storage closet at the back of the house. Taking small, delicate, steps so as to not fling the mud on her shoes all over the floor. Alice was not the biggest fan of making messes. Unlike Nikolai, Alice actually tried not to make a mess when she was working. Also unlike Nikolai, Alice's room was neat and tidy.