Coffee

Keith swirled his spoon around in his mug to mix in the three packets of sugar he had dumped into the brown liquid earlier. The spoon made slight clinking sounds against the ceramic sides and he began tapping his heel rhythmically against the tile floor. The buzz of life in the coffee shop caused him to space out, his vision went a bit fuzzy and the colors of the coffee resembled a nebula of movement.

Keith snapped out of his daze when he splashed a bit of his hot drink onto his hand. he hissed and sucked on his fingers as he bent down to retrieve his laptop out of his bag. As he went to open the specified laptop pocket of the ancient book bag, the zipper snagged on something and stubbornly refused to move another inch. Keith swore and wrestled with the bag for a moment before he heard a voice somewhere above his head. He startled slightly and smacked his head on the underside of the wooden table with a THUNk!

He swore again and extracted himself from under the table. Keith cradled his head as he met the eyes of a pretty brown haired boy.  The boy gave him a sheepish grin and scratched the back of his neck, "uh sorry, i think you dropped this earlier." he said while handing Keith his wallet. Keith patted down his pockets and mentally confirmed that he must have dropped it after he ordered his drink. He muttered a thank you to the boy and internally willed him to go away so he could coddle his throbbing skull in peace.

The boy extended his hand and gave Keith a warm smile. "The name's Lance." 

"Keith" he responded, shaking Lance's hand. Lance grinned and pulled out the chair opposite the other boy. He plopped his backpack on the floor and sat down. Lance looked up to make eye contact with a semi-shocked Keith, he laughed and leaned under the table. A moment later he popped up again with Keith's bag.

 "What on earth are you doing?" Keith asked, having finally found his voice. 

"Helping ." Lance began aggressively pulling on the hell-zipper and  made a triumphant "HA!" noise when it finally gave.  Keith snorted and Lance presented him with the sticker covered laptop with a wink and small, but dramatic bow.  

Keith was still baffled with this boy but he could help blush at his antics. "uh thanks." 

Just then the barista came up with Lance's order and Keith took advantage of the distraction to open his laptop and pull up the doc for his English essay he had been putting off. 

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

Lance fiddled with his drink and watched the boy across from his hesitantly start typing something, he wondered if he should leave. He didn't want to be annoying, or push himself onto Keith. The only thing he had done to show any interest was blush a little bit at Lances dumb bow. (Lance was still kicking himself for that one.) Despite his anxiety Lance decided to stick around and see how things played out. 

After a while of listening to keiths keyboard clicking and sneaking glances at him, keith pulled his arms above his head and stretchd like a cat, (lance had to restrain from telling Keith how adorable he was,) and stood up. 

Lance watched as he grabbed his wallet off the table and went back over to the counter. Keith had a brief exchange with the barista and tapped his black painted fingernail against the glass pastry case. 

Lance did his best to pretend he wasn't watching when Keith turned back to him and walked up to their table with two cookies wrapped in a napkin. 

Keith flushed and offered Lance one of the cookies. Lance's face lit up and he took it gratefully. "so what were you working on?" he asked, hoping to start a conversation. Keith rolled his eyes and swung his cookie in the air dramatically.  "stupid english essay, my professor has been killing me recently." 

"oh tell me about it, i've barely gotten any sleep. I'm getting eye bags!" Lance had a horrified expression as he pointed at his face. 

Keith laughed lightly as lance grinned and just like that they were settled into a comfortable conversation.

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

After nearly a half-hour of talking, Lance checked the time on his phone and pouted. "ah shit, i've gotta head out. I'm just about to be late to my little sister's birthday party." he ruffled around in his backpack and produced a pen. He grabbed a napkin off the table and slid it towards him and began to write. Keith noticed that he stuck his tongue out between his lips just a bit as he wrote. 

Lance gathered his stuff and his eyes lingered on Keiths before his phone rang. "Si mama, i'm coming, i'm coming. " He gave  Keith a sheepish look and handed him the napkin. Keith took it, and he hurried out the door of the coffee shop, his departure announced by the bell hanging on the doorframe. 

Keith smiled and looked down at the napkin in his hand, Lance's number was written in messy swoopy handwriting.  He took a sip from his cold nearly untouched coffee and daydreamed about the next time he'd get to see the gorgeous hurricane of a boy known as Lance Mcclain. 

A/n let me know what you thought! (constructive criticism is always appreciated) and if you want another part <3