29- the end (irl)

May 12 , 2021

I slowly open my eyes, taking in the bright sunlight coming in from the window. I feel a heaviness on my chest and look down to see Harry sleeping. It's all so peaceful, that is until my three sisters Carlotta, Ines, and Dakota bust into my room with absolutely no warning, jumping and singing "Happy Birthday" very loudly while holding a plate of stacked pancakes decorated with rainbow sprinkles and one single lit pink candle on top.

The practical earthquake wakes Harry and he sits up looking confused at first. Once he realizes what's happening he joins in singing.

I can't help but break out in a huge grin. It's my birthday after all. I'm sure the sadness will hit soon but I feel hopeful this year it might pass me by, especially if Harry has anything to do with it.

Dakota plops the plate right on my lap and gives me a wet kiss on the cheek.

"Make a wish, baby Bea!" Carlotta shouts.

Just as I go to blow out the candle I hear little footsteps down the hall and a cute voice yelling, "Wait! Wait for me, Aunt Bea!" Then in comes Delilah, out of breath with her strawberry pajamas and messy, curly hair. She runs to the other side of the bed and climbs right up onto Harry's lap.

"All right! Go ahead!" She announces. She's going to turn four in August (something I can't believe) and already thinks she owns the place.

"Yes Aunt Bea, you have her permission." Harry bumps me with his shoulder urging me to go on.

As soon as I blow out the candles everyone applauds and cheers. "Thank you, guys." I say, blinking the tears attempting to fall, away.

"Do not- I repeat do not go downstairs until Mom comes up and gives you the go-ahead! They're doing last-minute prep. K?" Ines tells me very firmly.

"Got it," I say with a single firm nod playing into her strict attitude. Everyone gives me one final embrace before they exit the room and leave just Harry and I.

"26 huh?" He says once we're alone.

"Ugh! Don't remind me I'm no longer a teenager" I groan, putting the nearest pillow into my face.

He laughs, removes the pillow, and says, "Hate to break it to you Bea, but you haven't been a teenager for a while."

"Whatever."

"Do you know what turning 26 means?" He asks with a mischievous grin.

"Uhh. Nope." I say nervous about what he has planned.

He abruptly starts peppering kisses all over my face while holding my hands over my head, giving me no protection against him.

"Ugh! You freak!" I shout.

After a while, he lets go of my hands and out of breath goes, "Phew! 26 kisses for the 26-year-old teenager."

Grimacing I say, "I feel like I've been licked by a dog all over my face."

"Oh, you loved it."

He brings me to his chest and whispers, "Happy Birthday, Bea."

Later that night, after all the food and presents and cake, Harry takes me outside and we walk towards the creek.

We're quiet for a while just walking hand in hand before he turns to me and says, "Did you have a good birthday?"

"Yes. One of the best."

"Well, I hope we can end the night with even more... um fun?"

I laugh, "What does that mean?"

"You know how I said I had another present for you but you couldn't see it until later?"

"Yes."

"Well, we're approaching this present." He says nervously.

Looking around and seeing nothing, "Did you hide it in the bushes or something because what on earth could it be?" He doesn't respond and he stops walking while I kept eyeing the place. "Harry, actually though. What is it?"

"Béatriz." I haven't heard him say my full name in a while and it causes me to peek back at him. He's looking right at me and looks as if he could cry. As I'm about to ask him what's wrong he closes the small distance between us, never losing eye contact once.

He says my name again and starts speaking rapidly, "I love you so much. More than anything in this world and I want to be with you always. When you're sick; when you're healthy. I want to be a part of your family-"

I cut him off not knowing where this is going, "You already are, Harry."

"Officially, though."

He takes my hands and bends down on one knee, pulling out a velvet box from his pocket.

"Bea, I want to be your husband so badly. I want to be the father of your children. I want to be at your side for everything. I want to be able to tell people you are my wife. Mine. But only if you'd allow it. Béatriz, will you marry me?"

I'm in shock and tears are running down my face. I can't speak so I just nod my head yes and he puts the ring- the most beautiful gold ring- on my ring finger and takes my face between his hands and kisses me hard. We're both smiling so wide are teeth touch.

We're giddy as we run back to the house. "Did my family know about this?"

"He looks back at me, still running and smiling, and yells, "Maybe!"

We race to open the door and everyone is waiting around in the kitchen with hopeful faces anticipating the answer they could have predicted.

Harry holds up my left hand high in the air. "She said yes!"

At once, everyone runs toward us embracing us and our happy news. My mom is the first one to pull me in her arms.

"I'm so happy for you, darling." She whispers, tears matching my own. She's the one who knows how hard my journey has been. And whenever I got on a new torturous treatment or another guy broke my heart, I would cry in her arms and she'd tell me, "Happiness is a butterfly, Bea, and one day, I'm sure of it, you'll catch the most beautiful one you've ever seen."

I look at her with the widest smile knowing she'd know what I was talking about when I say, "I've caught it, Mom. I've finally caught it."

The End.