Chapter One

Faeryn gasped and instinctively thrashed in the hospital bed she lay on as the anesthetic wore off. The mask was quickly pulled from her nose as the figures surrounding her desperately covered her stomach. She screamed in agonising pain. She had been mutilated, changed against her will. She knew so.

As the wheels on the bed moved, she felt a sharp needle pierce into her vein and finally began to calm down. The bed froze in a new room, she noticed the padded walls, a cheap looking
single bed, and many beeping machines. There were multiple security cameras pointed her way, she suddenly felt uneasy.

She couldn't see the faces of the humanoids that pulled her onto the bed as they had been covered by masks and eye coverings. At least they're practicing basic hygiene. She thought wryly. "Fuck!" Was the only thing she was able to voice as they attached wires to her skin. She couldn't seem to move her body. Murmurs echoed through the room as she was put to sleep again.

It seemed to be a new day as she awoke a second time, tossing and turning in her bed as she attempted to find a comfortable position, the wires tangling her up. She sighed as the door was pushed open by an unfamiliar figure. "Hello." They greeted, stepping forward to the bed. "You've missed quite a lot, Faeryn."

She blinked and gazed up at the figure, they had green skin, bright pink hair and very petite features. They seemed to be a woman. She wore a white maxi dress with puffed sleeves, it made her look regal, like a queen. "Where am I?" Questioned Faeryn, desperately untangling herself from the wires. The figure leaned over to assist her.

Now that she was freed from the confining wires, the stranger was able to reply. "You're in the hospital." She explained, her voice soft and understanding. "You've had surgery." Faeryn raised an eyebrow at this statement leaning back into the bed. "What kind of surgery?" She asked meekly, picking at the nail on her index finger, the tape that held the wires pinching her skin. The woman inhaled before responding. "You... have been... altered." She explained carefully, changing up the wording so as to not make Faeryn grow anxious.

Swallowing a lump in her throat, Faeryn now looked up at the ceiling. "How have I been... altered?" She asked nervously, adjusting the way the blanket sat on her. "That, I cannot say." Admitted the woman, a frown on her face. Faeryn turned away. Of course, they never tell you anything! She complained in her mind, not daring to say any of these words aloud. "You'll find out eventually." The woman reassured, sitting down comfortably onto the chair next to the bed.

Faeryn sat up. "When can I be discharged?" She wondered, already wanting out. "Right away." The woman replied with a smile. This seemed... strange. Hospitals never let you out as soon as you wake up. "What?" Was all she managed to respond with, raising an eyebrow. "You're free to leave." She repeated, sitting back into the chair. Faeryn ripped the wires from her skin and slid out of the bed, her head spinning from the lack of movement. "Argh..." She murmured, regaining her balance.

The woman handed her some clothes and left the room. Faeryn frowned, though changed anyway. The clothes were simple, a white t-shirt, black turtleneck sweater and a pair of dark blue denim jeans. She walked out of the small room into a white hallway, it looked endless. She started walking.

Eventually, Faeryn reached a bright red door and pushed it open. A draft of icy cold wind blew into her face, sending a shock through her body. Clouds flooded the sky, and it occurred to her she didn't even know what day it was. Figuring that she would find out eventually, she set off into the distance.

As Faeryn walked, she didn't recognise the area she was in. Brightly coloured cars flashed by and an array of towers and buildings stretched all the way to the sky. It didn't look at all like Faeryn's hometown, not that she could remember much about it.

As she walked, reminiscing, a vehicle of some sort shot past her, it hovered in the air. "Yo!" Shouted a voice from the inside, desperately trying to be heard over the loud buzzing fans. Faeryn raised an eyebrow and turned around. It was a bright red... ship of some sort. A flying ship, it looked a little bit like a zeppelin. She stepped back, growing slightly anxious.
"Who are you?"
"The name's Juno."
"Juno..."
"Yep, that's me. Now, wanna ride?"
Faeryn looked up at the zeppelin and gulped. Juno had been hanging from the side. She was no expert, but that seemed dangerous.
"Fuck it." She decided, climbing up with the support of her new acquaintance's hand. They zipped through the sky.

"Never seen you before." Said Juno.
"Yeah, well, I've been out for a while."
"Out?"
"Uh... well I think I had surgery."
"Oh, you're one of them, huh?"
For some unknown reason, this question offended Faeryn.
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Oh, no, nothing. Don't worry."
Faeryn frowned.
"Seriously, nothing. I know a sanctuary nearby."
"A sanctuary?"
"Yeah, basically a huge hang out spot for... those who've had surgeries."
Faeryn immediately felt uncomfortable, she wanted to plummet off the zeppelin.

Still, as idiotic as it sounds, she continued gripping on to the edge of the air ship, wondering who was piloting it as it soared through the sky. They soon reached a large dome, in what looked to be an abandoned skatepark. The zeppelin swooped downwards and a swarm of people came running towards it, they grabbed some ropes that were tied to it, and knotted them around some bars. Juno simply hopped down as it was hauled close enough to the floor. Faeryn reluctantly followed.

She was soon met with cheers and salutes from the unknown figures. Feeling overwhelmed, the poor girl instinctively ducked behind Juno. "Let's give it up for Faeryn!" Her newfound friend shouted, the crowd erupted in whoops and applause. Confused didn't even begin to describe what Faeryn felt, but she let everything happen. She let the strangers hug her, pat her on the back, shake her hand. Things that she never would have done before.