Goodbye

El ran back to Mike after a hard battle she had barely survived it, and she knew she couldn't survive for much longer, no matter how strong she was she could only survive under these Circumstances for so long and so long wouldn't be much longer. She ran into Mikes arms and hugged him tightly he hugged her back, the sky red behind them, their breathing heavy. After a few moments of staying like that they pulled apart from each other. 

"Are you okay, El?"

Mike asked El could see the worry in his soft brown eyes. No, she wanted to say of course he wasn't okay, how could she ever be okay again with the world falling apart? But of course, she wouldn't tell him that she didn't even have time to. So, she just nodded. 

"I have to go back and defeat them." 

El had sputtered, her words heavy in her throat. 

"No! You can't, you won't come back alive, El please don't go." 

El could see the tears welling up in Mikes eyes and as a result of seeing it tears welled up in hers. She didn't want to go but how would she be able to live with herself if she didn't? Not that she could even live when she left but she would die a hero and she had thought it was better than dying any other way she wished it wasn't her only option. But it was and there was no use on dwelling on what could have been especially since she didn't have much time left. 

"I'm sorry, Mike." 

She said to him with the utmost tenderness in her voice as she tried not to sob. 

"You don't have to be sorry, El just don't go back to battle and everything will be okay."

 It wouldn't be okay El knew Mike was only trying to comfort her in an attempt to get her to survive but how could he say that? Even if she didn't go to battle, she would die soon enough with the world falling apart around her and if she went, she would at least save some people, including Mike who would surely die if she didn't return to battle.  She didn't have the energy to form a sentence and try and explain that to him she just deeply inhaled and said,

"Mike..." 

Mike took his hands and cupped them on El's face he started sobbing now his grip tight yet comforting on El's face. 

"Please El listen to me we can make it alright you don't have to go back to fight ever again." 

El could feel the hot tears streaming down her face now.

"But I do Mike, I do."

Mike didn't say anything back to that he just continued sobbed and wrapped her into a tight hug. 

El hugged him back equally as tight it hurt her to leave him, but she had to remain strong just as she always had. Ever since she was young, she was trained to be powerful she always thought it was who she was meant to be, her purpose.  

"I'm sorry." 

She repeated through shaky breaths it hurt her to speak to stay here any longer and see the pain in Mikes eyes it hurt more than any injury she had ever had. She thought about when they younger her favorite memories of them together, her finding her in the woods in the rain with her oversized yellow Bennys burgers t-shirt. The first time he had called her pretty, their first kiss in the school them reuniting with each other after she had been separated from him all those years ago when he called her for 353 days. The snowball, how beautiful and loved she had felt that night. Mike always made her feel beautiful and loved a feeling she had with no one else, at least not like she had with Mike. No one could ever make her feel like Mike had. She remembered when she had first heard him say he loved her that day in the basement of his house. 

"Because I love her, and I can't lose again." 

She heard those words Mike had said in her memory. She remembered his love confession his whole speech that day in the pizza place she never felt more loved than in that moment. She knew he loved her, and she knew she loved him that was all that mattered to her. 

She always looked at him like he held the world in his eyes, and to her he did. 

El pulled away from Mike it was time to go. 

"Wait!" 

Mike had yelled out and grabbed onto El's hand gripping it tightly as she tried to leave. El had sighed this was only making it more painful than it had to be.

"I know I can't stop you from going and that kills me but please let me tell you I love you I can never tell you in words how much I love you, but I do more than anything or anyone." 

El gazed into his eyes one last time. 

"I know and I love you too even after I'm gone our love will be as eternal as the stars in the sky, I promise you that."

Mike nodded and they hugged tightly one last time before she left from a battle she would not return from.

"Goodbye, Mike."

El had said as her last two words to him. 

A few hours had passed Mike knew El was gone at that point he knew she would be in her last moments of them being together but that didn't make it any better how could he go on knowing that the one person he loved the most was gone forever? He felt the tears streaming down his face. It didn't matter if he was breathing because El had the love inside him without her he was already dead. 

"Shes gone." He whispered to himself and felt the realness of it all knowing it wasn't a nightmare. 

Anyways sorry for the short oneshot and sorry it's sad I just wanted to get something out and this idea was in my drafts for a while if you enjoyed let me know <3