Chapter 1

It was the subtlest of things. After reuniting at the dungeon they see each other occasionally. It's inevitable.

And at first Dazai doesn't pay attention. Sure, he has a soft spot for the slug—they grew up together, they're ex-partners—but Chuuya was part of the past he left behind. And Dazai keeps his past tied up in a neat little bow. He never touches it or thinks about it. It was juvenile. Boring. Filled to the brim with blood and depravity. Those days were over. He's changed. People change.

He just never thought Chuuya would. And boy, was that a fucking mistake.

The first time he noticed something different was during a meeting with the Port Mafia: it was procedure, whatever, he didn't want to attend because Mori and the chibi'd be there and he'd really rather not but Kunikida dragged him to it and if he stays in the corner and half paid attention he'll get through it.

It's just an hour. It doesn't have to be a big deal. Right?

Dazai gets through about two minutes before he's bored out of his mind. He turns to Kunikida to annoy him but the man is furiously scribbling down notes in his ideals book. Atsushi's sitting with Junichirou and Kyouka: ergo too far away to bother, so . . .

Dazais eyes wander around the room and it's small, okay, there's not much to see there's Hirotsu, Gin, that Tachihara guy, Ane-san, and the same old, same old Chuuya who's—surprise surprise—giving a shit about this meeting even though it's so obvious he'd rather not be here he doesn't show as much clear signs of boredom but of course Dazai knows any minute now he'll take off that godawful hat and run his hands through his hair—when did he grow it out anyway? Whatever. No big deal it's always been long—and /look/ he's doing it now and—wait. Ex-cuse me?

When the fuck did Chuuya get that scar on his neck?

Dazai spends the entire meeting honing in on it. It had been hidden behind that stupid long strand of hair up until now and he must've not noticed it at the dungeon because of how dark it was but what the fuck it's deep into Chuuya's neck and it must've ran down to his collarbones. And judging by how faded it is, Chuuya's had it for a while and logically, yeah, he's mafia, he's an executive, yes, he would have gotten new battle scars and wounds and stitches galore these past four years but, for some reason, Dazai never really thought about it until now.

Chuuya had always been . . . well, Chuuya. Since they were fifteen he hadn't really changed much. Sure, he got a few weird haircuts and gaudy clothes and thanks to Ane-san an exorbitantly expensive taste for vintage wine and that dumb motorcycle and the arsenal of chokers but he had always been Chuuya: Easy, predictable, doggy Chuuya he could tease for hours and tug on a leash and make him sit, stay, fetch boy! Chuuya who's tantrums were as foreseeable as a nursery rhyme you've memorized since infancy. Chuuya who'd get sloppy drunk after one glass. Chuuya who was a sore loser. Chuuya who pretended not to cry during those dumb rom-coms him and Kouyou watched on weekends. Chuuya who'd come and save him because he didn't have a choice but he did he only said that to be a brat. That was Chuuya. Classic Chuuya. Dazai's Chuuya.

And Dazai may have left the mafia on his own will and was fully aware of the consequences and had made peace with the separation, wouldn't have it any other way, has no regrets, dO iT fOr oDaSaKu, mhmm, yes, but when the FUCK did Chuuya get that scar on his neck?!?

He spends the rest of the day after the meeting stewing over it. He doesn't even spare Mori a sarcastic retort or plot something stupid to pull on the chibi as he was leaving. No. Immediately after, he darts into the passenger side of Kunikida's car, a concerned Atsushi and an even more bored Kyouka trailing behind him to sit in the back seats, and wait for his partner to drive them back to the dorms. Atsushi tries to ask questions—even after Kunikida starts the car and begins lecturing Dazai about how he "can't just leave such an important meeting so early blah blah blah"—but Kyouka gives him a look that tells him to leave it alone.