The... Onceler?

"Y/N! Y/N!"

"Ngh... Go away." I mumbled in response to the voice.

I felt something soft hit me in the back as I buried my head back into my pillow. I inhaled deeply as I began sitting up.

"What the hell do you want?" I questioned, looking over at my roommate, Damien.

"Do you happen to have a little bit of extra cash on you?" He asked.

I stayed silent. I just stared at him with an unimpressed expression plastered on my face. I sighed.

"How much is "a little bit of extra cash"?"

"I don't know, probably like..." He took a moment to think. "Forty bucks? Fifty maybe?"

"And why exactly do you need said cash?" I asked him.

"I just need to buy a few things. I don't get my next paycheck 'til the end of the month though, so I just need a bit of cash." He explained.

I got out of my bed, stopping for a moment as I felt the cold floor beneath my bare feet, sending a chill up my spine. I groaned at the feeling before I began walking over to my desk. I grabbed my wallet and pulled out two twenties.

"Here, spend it responsibly. Please." I said as I reached out to hand him the two bills.

"Thanks man! I'll pay you back! Promise!" He responded as he began running out of my room, yelling as he got further from me.

I heard the front door to our apartment shut. I figured he was leaving to go spend that money. Or hang out with some of his actual friends. He didn't actually like me, I knew that. We're just both broke and in need of a roommate.

I sighed once more before leaving my room of the apartment. I headed into the small kitchen and began to make myself a cup of coffee. We were running low on coffee. And milk. And we also needed more flour and corn starch after running out earlier in the week.

I made a mental note to go shopping later during the day before taking my unhealthily sugary coffee and setting it on the small coffee table in the living space. I turned on the TV, allowing whatever channel immediately turned on to play as I began sipping from my mug.

I took my time finishing my coffee. I was still tired after being woken up by my screaming roommate.

Once my mug was empty, I decided to grab a Truffula Fruit from the kitchen for a small breakfast. I noticed it was the last one in the fruit basket as I took my first bite. I groaned at the sight of a nearly empty fruit bowl on our counter.

Along with the nearly empty fridge and cabinets. We don't even use most of the space in our cabinets. How many dishes do two grown men need anyway?

At least I had an excuse to get out of the apartment. I dreaded shopping for every day groceries, but I enjoyed picking fruit. I usually went to the Truffula forest to pick the fruits myself. It wasn't exactly an uncommon thing for people in our town to do, considering how close we lived to the forest.

I decided it would be smart to just get the groceries to get it over with. Better to spend the money I need before Damien asks for any more cash again. He's always needed a little more before his upcoming paycheck. I've never said no when asked. He always promises to pay me back. He never pays me back.

It's kind of our thing. He steals from me and I let it happen. So I guess it's not stealing then.

He doesn't seem to understand that we need certain things to live, so he can't just spend my money on whatever he wants. Which is why I seem to be the designated "grocery buyer".