Prologue

Orc King Olmagil could be pleased with today. His army had just broken the last resistance of the defenders of Esgaroth, a city in Middle-earth that, since Bard had killed Smaug, was very famous, respected and, it should be added, rich. Ever since Smaug was killed and peace reigned between the dwarves under the mountain, the forest elves of the Darkwood, and the humans on the lake, the city has only flourished. Even better times came when the dark threat of Sauron was overthrown and the victorious King Elessar took the throne in Gondor with the elven queen Arwen. It seemed that all threats had passed and life would be easy. The people of the city focused more on trade, fishing and farming than on forging weapons and archery. They already lost the next war then, but today, thanks to the cruel Olmagil, they should have fully realized it. And that happened too. Goblin armies pillaged, looted and destroyed the city. Valuables were looted, houses set on fire and the last survivors killed. The goblins of Ered Mithrin and the Misty Mountains took few captives. A couple, of course, if they could be useful later, for example, by being exchanged for a ransom. For that reason, they also dragged several elves with them in the cage who had come their way before, among them Legolas, who had distinguished himself in the war for the ring of power. But the lake city was not the final target of the goblin attack. This was to be the mountain of dwarven treasure, and now, as their predecessors had done years ago, they began to approach it.