Prologue

"Catch me if you can Callum," I called over my shoulder. I spurred my horse to run. My brother and I were hunting in the forest that bordered our manor home in the Highlands of Scotland. We had lived here almost our entire lives. I knew this forest like the back of my hand.

"Maisie, slow down. Or you are going to injure yourself," Callum called back. But I was already ahead of him. Callum was ten and eight, just three years older to my ten and five. Yet we were thick as thieves. We had shared a bed chambers for most of our childhoods. At least until my courses came at three and ten. My mother deemed it was time for us to have separate bed chambers from that moment on. But we also took lessons together growing up as children. Most siblings did not spend as much time together as we did, but our mother wished for us to grow up together, to be true brother and sister. We often would go hunting together every chance we got, and we were tracking a stag, one that Callum managed to wound just a few moments ago with his crossbow. I could hear the hounds howling, a sign that they caught the scent of the wounded animal. It was a beautiful spring day, the sun streaming through the trees overhead. Causing different shaped shadows to appear on the forest floor. The air is beginning to warm. I was excited for summer to come. More time to ride and to hunt, and less time at home and mama trying to teach me how to be a lady. I often preferred manly suits as mama called to women's nonsense like needlework and gossip. I found things boring and tedious, one could only listen to gossiping for so long. I slowed the pace of my horse as I began to notice the small traces of blood on the ground. I could hear Callum coming up from behind me. I dismounted my horse and grabbed my crossbow, it was ready to be fired. All I had to do was hit the trigger, killing the beast in its tracks. I could hear Callum breathing hard, no doubt irritated that I beat him once again.I was always better on a horse then he was.

"We really should wait for the others in our hunting party, Maisie. We cannot take the stag down by ourselves. You know this," he said sternly. I shook my head. The men would just take the glory for themselves. I was the one who discovered the stag, and Callum was the one who wounded it. We should do the honors and kill it. We should get the credit.

"Nay deartháir mór, the stag is close. I can hear the hounds clearly. This way," I replied. I heard one more huff, and I knew that Callum was grabbing his own crossbow. Any time we argued, I always managed to win. He was not as stubborn as I was. And of course I was his little sister. Therefore, I won when we did argue. Which was not very often. I was greatful for that.

"Maisie, tis not a good idea," he called in frustration. Callum knew well enough that I was stubborn. I knew well enough that the wounded stag was no match for the two of us. We continued to follow the blood trail. The howling of the hounds became louder and louder. The blood led us to a nearby clearing, the tall grass swaying in the breeze. The hounds had the stag surrounded. Nipping and biting when the stag got too close. They had cut off the stag's escape. Making the animal more agitated. One easy arrow to the heart, and the animal would be dead. Both Callum and I stalked forward. Trying to be as quiet as possible.

"I can hear the party Maisie, just wait a few more minutes," Callum said next to me. I rolled my eyes and moved a little closer to the animal. If we waited any longer, the hounds could allow the stag to escape, and we may not have another chance like this.

"Nay brother this kill will be mine," I said. I slowly aimed the crossbow at the stag. Slowly putting my finger on the trigger, ready to pull it. When suddenly the stag reared up on its hind legs. Kicking the two hounds closest to it. It began to charge at me, I just needed a few more feet. Then I could pull the trigger. Sending the arrow into the beast's heart.

"MAISIE, WATCH OUT," Callum screamed. I suddenly felt myself being pushed out of the way of the charging stag. The crossbow flying from my hands, landing in the grass nearby. I fell to the ground. The air knocked from my lungs. I heard a loud crack and the animal screaming. I looked up and saw the stag's antler embedded into Callum's stomach.