A Tree and a Flame

Two teenage girls went outside for their lunch. Both were quiet. The one usually is while the other Gretchen isn't, but they came from physics with graded tests. Even though she studied as hard as she could, she still failed the test. So in her disappointment she didn't speak until the resident mean girl came out with her passing grade.

" Ooh look what I have", she flaunted. " I got an A on my physics test." " Oh, but poor Gretchen here failed", she exclaimed, while pointing to Gretchen so all could see.

She knew how much Gretchen tried, but, because for some odd reason doesn't like her, she decides to humiliate and hurt her every chance she gets.

To go further, she decides to say, "I guess some of us are just better than you."

Once she left and was out of earshot, Gretchen then says, "I can't believe her." "I wonder if I told someone that she got that A because of a certain reason." "See how she likes getting humiliated that Bi..." "STOP!", her usually quiet friend shouted, interrupting her. "Don't call her that and don't be telling that lie!", she told Gretchen.

" Why not?, asked Gretchen, stunned by her friend's shout.

After taking a breath and saying a quick, quiet prayer, she speaks , "A tree in a forest, for whatever reason catches on fire and then spreads that fire to another tree, that trees then spreads it to two more trees and those spread it to another group of trees." "Pretty soon the whole forest is engulfed in a wildfire, and it all started with that one tree and that flame."

"Gretchen, that tree is you and that lie of yours is the flame." "You tell to someone and they tell it to two others who will then spread it to a whole group of people, and pretty soon, before you know it, the whole school will be engulfed.", She told her.

Continuing, she says, "As for whom the lie is about, well, all the animals who lived in the forest, got burned."

Feeling both guilty and convicted, Gretchen then asks, "What do I do then?"

"Do you what God's word says to do; love them, pray for them, do good unto them, be merciful for he is merciful." "Be kind, tenderhearted, and forgive them for He, in Christ Forgave you." "She tells her.

" His word also says to get rid of that bitterness and don't let spring up in you.", She continues.

She then tells her, "If you don't do this, and you stay bitter, and don't let anyone, let alone God to help you, you will burn alone."

Exodus 30:16, Proverbs 26:20, Matthew 5:44-45, Luke 6:36, Ephesians 4:31-32, Hebrews 12:15