~*Prolouge~*

The crescent moon radiated a soft white glow as it hung brightly amongst the stars. Its thin sliver of light glowed softly against the inky black sky, illuminating the thin metal bars of a cage through a cracked shed window. The wooden shed sat motionless, surrounded by dense forest. Several tall, looming trees swayed and creaked with the night wind, which hummed and howled as it passed. Inside the shed, several cages were scattered along the splintered wooden floor, many rusted and worn down. One cage in particular was sitting upon a counter underneath the window, sheltering a small female kitten. Her midnight black fur was still kitten-soft as if she were born just a couple of days ago. The kitten's small stomach rose and fell with every breath she took as she slept soundly underneath the light of the moon. She was tucked neatly next to her mother, who curled around her in a protective circle of fur.
The mother cat opened her eyes and yawned, slowly lifting her head to face the window. The soft moonlight illuminated her face as she became lost in her thoughts, unable to stay asleep. She wondered how long her kitten would have to face the cruelty she had to endure. Would she have to spend her whole life in this cage, locked in this prison of a shed? Surrounded by lush forest, yet trapped behind bars? The window above them remained their only access to the outside world, tormenting them with the promise of freedom that was just out of reach. Looking down at the small black kitten, the mother smiled and pulled her closer. She rested her head once again, waiting for sleep to take her.