1

"Like a moth to a flame, we each are entranced by the travail of conforming with society. That we don't notice our wings burning off before it's too late."

Those are the words spoken by the headmaster to every round of enrollees that attended his school. Everyone who submitted an enrollment request did so for the same reason, to find their calling. To find a place called Home. Supernaturals have been forced into hiding for thousands of years and during that period, wars tore away at what little binding was put in place between the relations of humankind and their unique counterparts.

The year is now 1932 and since the arrival of the 20th century came a new turn in human ingenuity. Newspapers, automobiles, advanced weapons, and much more threatened the existence of supernaturals.

Cassius Kravensworth, a vampire going on his 437th year of living has witnessed wars waged between humans and supernaturals. More importantly, he witnessed the technological turn of human inventions, those of which that were discovered in the last one hundred years impeded supernaturals' ability to live in plain sight.

Which is why he created his boarding school for supernaturals. This building itself was shrouded in mystery, mainly because many have tried finding it but to no avail. Using magic to keep it powered and to keep it out of sight from anyone who wasn't invited helped it become a thing of urban legend. Invitations get sent out to known supernatural beings but It's up to the party elected to accept and attend it. Only a small group out of hundreds of requests gets handpicked.

Despite the name, the school acted as more of a community. Its 'classes' were more of training to help hone their abilities. It's a haven for non-humans but a couple of lucky humans get selected to attend and have the honor of mingling with such a special group.

*****

The large dark wooden door with a golden handle and trim around its designs which included an upside down cross as its main one, opened, and in walked a shorter man who walked with great poise and stopped just before a black desk which also had gold trim along its corners. His ears were pointed enough to not be visibly that of a human, a slightly upright and pointed nose that held up round black glasses and when he reached over, his elongated fingers dropped a paper onto the desk. Despite the slight disproportions, he had a serene beauty to him that many would confuse for an elf or maybe a fairy. He was a witch and a trusted professor and part advisor to Cassius.

"The pickup was successful. No prying eyes and everyone accounted for." He said cheerfully. They took the procedure of picking up the recruits seriously. The mistake of having a non-attendee see where and how the recruits arrived and even having them followed would prove troublesome. Despite an event of them being followed, the headmaster has his security measures put in place so the castle cannot be infiltrated.

"That is excellent. Where is my son?" Cassius questioned coldly, and Asher started his answer with a frown.
"I sent a servant to inform him of the news. He must be getting dolled up and it's as you say, first impressions are key." As professional as he was he did little to hide his frown or his sarcastic tone meant to condescend the headmasters' son.

The son of the headmaster was rambunctious. Asher can sense his reckless nature bothered Cassius but the man did little to reprimand the boy. After all, it's his only child and it wasn't in Asher's place to advise the headmaster on issues pertaining to his son. He can only wish he didn't cross paths too often with Salem.

"Preparations on the opening meal? I trust she can whip up a feast where the students can taste this grand castle on a plate." He questioned with a figurative example as he aimed to check the next task off of his mental checklist.