I.

“The Wilderness” was what the YellowJackets had weirdly enough started calling the place they were stuck in. Fitting name for a place that drives people insane. A place that gives, and a place that takes. A place that is hungry, or even starving, but will never be full. It will always want more. Need more, even. The girls all understandably hated the place. It was where many of their teammates had died. But there were still people left--Survivors. Still, there was no telling how long that would last.

Shauna worried for herself and her friends. Mainly Jackie, predictably enough. Now, you may call her a “simp”, or something within those paths, and you wouldn't be wrong, but now, she actually has a reason to be afraid;
Jackie’s sick.

For once, she's thankful for Misty. But then again, how the heck can she trust Misty fucking Quigley with taking care of someone as important as Jackie? Plus, that is Shauna's job--not Mistys.
Still here she is, only watching Misty take care of her best friend, guarding Jackie.
Her expression is so obviously grumpy. She knows Jackie notices it, because Jackie is watching Shauna with a confused face.
Finally, Shauna gathers strength to speak: “Misty, can you go get some wet towels?” She asks weakly, praying she'd agree to do so.
With an enormous smile, Misty, who is sitting on the ground to take care of Jackie, nods. “Good idea!” She says, and runs off, leaving Jackie and her alone. Finally.
“What was that about?”, Jackie asks with an extra raspy voice, looking Shauna right into her brown eyes, like she can see right through her. “Don't speak, Jax. It'll hurt your throat.” Shauna doesn’t face her, not directly. But she knows exactly how she looks, anyway. Jackie, for once, does as she's commanded--for a couple of seconds, at least. But hey, that's way better than nothing, especially when it comes to Jackie. “Sure, Shipman. As soon as you explain why you made Misty leave. I mean, sure, she can get really annoying, but I kinda fucking need her?” Jackie's always grumpy when she's sick. “No, you don't,” Shauna finds herself responding embarrassingly quickly. Her mouth doesn't close even after she's done speaking. Mind her, she's realizing what she just said. “Um, yes, I do.” Jackie furrows her eyebrows, gathering strength to sit up.
Shauna knows exactly what she wants to say, but the words stay hidden in her brain. I can take care of you, Jackie. It’s only me you need. “Why does it have to be her, though? Can’t someone else take care of you? Someone more trustable?” Jackie squints her eyes a bit, like she always does when she’s trying to figure something out (or is mad), and shakes her head. “What the hell’s gotten into you, Shauna? It’s like--Ever since we got here, you’ve been this completely different person who I’m not even sure I know.” Shauna can’t tell if Jackie’s sad or angry, either way, she snaps. “Maybe you never  knew me.” Jackie doesn’t answer as quickly as the times before, pausing. Now Shauna knows she’s sad. “Go.” She says. “Go!” Even louder this time. “Go away, Shauna! Leave!” Shauna swears she can see Jackie’s eyes get wet. A flash of guilt makes her heart stop. “I--” She wants to apologize, but fails to. “Just go. Please go.”
Jackie doesn’t let tears flow down her cheeks. Not in front of Shauna. Because that would be showing weakness, right? And Jackie never allows herself to do that around the enemy.
Shit, Shauna thinks. Her throat hets dry. She can’t speak. So she just leaves.

For the rest of the day, Shauna cannot feel at peace, knowing she made Jackie, her best friend; the light to her dark--the only one that matters in this cruel world, down. Why couldn’t she just have apologized? Why did she even say that in the first place?
Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why.
She writes it all down in her journal. What happened, how sorry she is, but most importantly; what she really thinks about Jackie, and how it isn’t hate, like she had just expressed it as, but love.

Little does she know Jackie knows where her journal is hidden. That she knows all her secrets. That she fucked Jeff, and that she wasn’t even thinking of him when doing it.

//

This story was supposed to be Yellowjackets one-shots but I don’t think that’s really what it ended up becoming. It was actually really fun to write, so tell me if you enjoyed it please :) !

Feel free to leave suggestions, and tell me what you want to see in the future for them. 😙✌️

This is kinda like a prologue but I didn’t name it that because idk.

Only 827 words but I’m still kinda pleased with the outcome of this! (Although, reminder that there is no beta read.)