Reflections Of Better

In the end, Nine's whole dimension was just a dimension... it wasn't even able to be an alternate universe. Nope. It's just a measly dimension. A grain of sand on the beach. A small speck of brilliancy.

And Nine was completely okay with that revelation. His dimension was worthless and filthy anyway. It wasn't important. Nothing but a bad dream for Sonic...

Yet this info doesn't stop the bits and pieces of jealousy and anger bubbling from the surface. He hates himself for even having these thoughts. For letting them get so bad that he hurt(betrayed) his first friend. Nine glared up at the ceiling. 

Soon after betraying Sonic, he came to his senses. Nine knew how this wouldn't solve anything, so he forgot about the Grim. Cause even if he did get his perfect world, he would be alone. Just as always. It would be no different than living in New Yolk City. (Not really because at least the air is breathable in the Grim.) Suffice to say, Nine would much rather cease to exist with friends rather than cease to exist without having made one.

Which has him in his current predicament. Having to help the rebels in officially defeating the Eggman council and helping Sonic get his friends back. (The REAL ones)

Nine knew this was the right thing, but he also couldn't help himself from feeling the growing pit in his heart. That spoke the truth. That told him how he was temporary.

A placeholder for the real deal. 

An ugly reflection of Sonic's true friend, Tails.

Robotic gears scratch Nine's ears and snap him out of his self-loathing. He turns his head in the direction of the noise. He was surprised by what he saw. No. Who he saw.

Chaos Sonic

He must've snuck in to steal the shards. Again, it's surprising. Nine didn't know that this version of Sonic knew how to shut up or even how to sneak. He managed to be more annoying than the real deal. (Again. Real?)

Nine couldn't deny that this robotic creation was a masterpiece. It was able to keep up with Sonic in the means of speed and was scarily able to replicate mobian emotions. 

Sometimes, Nine thinks that he has more emotion than himself. He ends up shaking those thoughts away most of the time..

He couldn't let himself dwell on it, Nine prepared his metallic tails to fight.

"Why hello there, you filthy rodent!" The robot spoke a few words, but already, its cheery voice grated Nine's ears.

"Leave before I blow you to bits again."  Nine had no time for this.

"WOW! That's very rude of you -" The robot laughed. Nine thought back about how terrifying this machine was able to replicate emotions. "Still need to get revenge for that, though."

Nine continued his glaring. 

"Stop looking at me like that...." The fake sonic seemed to stop and stand still (He can stand still?!) to think. "... What was it that Sonic called you? ..Tails?"

He shot his gun, aiming for the stupid robot's head. Not that it even hit him.

"It's nine." The words left his mouth with a sharp sting to them. 

"Sonic thinks otherwise."

Another shot rang through. Unfortunately, the bullet didn't pierce his opponent's head as the robot quickly moved aside. Man, how he wanted to relive the moment he decommissioned him right now. 

"Awhhh, must've hit a nerve, right?" His giggly tone tempted Nine to fire another round at him. He resisted, of course. One of them had to have self-control.