A Story

.

.

.

.

.

.

          Hundreds of eyes in the room,
          but yours found mine.

          I remember cold blue eyes staring back at mine, looking at me like a stranger. I remember your peeved voice echoing in my ears as if it was a greeting to me, a greeting that starts our beautiful story. I remember my first impression of you: a hooligan who had a bad hair dye job, blonde and black mixed poorly with eye catching piercings. You're that someone that I would completely fear.

          But you showed me different.

          Kind smile, warm gaze, soft gestures. You immediately filled my life with those three things. Those three things I thought I never wanted—needed. You showed me true colors, adding another interesting part of my life that I will mark for forever. The tingling sensation I always felt whenever you ruffle my hair or laugh at my antics—those things that I started calling it "love."

          Love.

          I love how I could bring a smile to your face, I love how I see you in the mornings, greeting me with the same sweet look, I love how you would join to help me with my problems, I love how you are sometimes needy with me, showing your vulnerable side that shows how much you trust me. And I—I just love you. Everything about you. From your touch to your whispering voice filled with sweet nothings.

          And I love knowing that you love me as much as I love you.

          .

          .

          What lasted for minutes seemed
          like eternity.

          Everyday I get to spend time with you, I relish it. The photos we've taken and the places we visited, I took notes of. Making a mental note of your likes and dislikes as we walk together side by side, seeing new and different things. As days go by, we've slowly come to know each other, gaining a new form of closure. A closure that's much deeper. A closure that's filled with fear and at the same time excitement.

          I may continue to grow with you with fear in my heart but I would still show a smile, knowing that you're still mine, holding onto my fragile heart like a piece of treasure. And I will always be excited for the days to come that I'll have, hoping for an eternity with you.

          So please continue holding me close. Please continue to lure me into your loving dance. And I'll dance along with you, accepting all of your love, pledging that I am only yours and yours only.

          .

          .

          Fifty-nine years have gone by since
          you said yes.

          It was still in my head like an old song playing on a broken record but still sounded beautiful. That's where it all started, a new beginning for the both of us, a start of the eternity we wished for—that I have been wishing for. With your hugs, wake up calls, cookings and kisses, nothing is much better than hearing that one word that changed the entirety of our story.

          And I would replay it all again if I could.

         And here you are, still looking as mesmerizing as ever just as the day that I met you—ignoring the fact that you glared at me at first glance—lying on the hospital bed with the same smile you gave me, that always tells me how kindhearted a person you are. You reached your hand to mine, intertwining them like perfect pieces in a puzzle. I see how your skin wrinkled compared to mine, your face looking so weak and yet your eyes still shine staring back at me with that loving gaze that I couldn't get enough of.

          If time could stop right now.

          .

          .

          We might be old but there's still one thing
          we can do.
          Put on a song, let's pretend to dance in
          the room.

          Even though you couldn't stand as you fight off the illness in your body, I would instead play the song that we used to love and danced along in our living room. Swaying our hands together with our eyes closed, creating a beautiful image of us dancing, looking back to our first dance we had when we were young. Memories were told again, with our soft laughters and happy tears as we talked, just like in the past.

          This is still love.

          I love how I could still bring a smile to your face, I love how I still see you in the mornings, I love how you are still needy with me, how much you deeply trust me. And I—I still love you. Deeply. Truly. And always.

          .

          .

          Thirty-five hours have gone by since
          your last breath.
          Memories of dancing with you are
          all I have left.

          I get to witness the last light flickering in your eyes, your smile, your warmth and your words as you left me in this world, your hand never left mine. Just as I ended our long story of our journey, how we got here, I remained smiling just for you even if tears kept burning my eyes, screaming to escape.

          "I love you. I love you. I love you so much…"

          How much should I say those words for you to say them back again? How much should I pray to see your blue eyes again, smiling at me with a loving gaze? How much should I beg?

          Just like how you held my poor heart, I held your face with such gentleness, looking back at you one last time, admiring your beautiful features. And slowly, hesitantly, I let go. With your heart still in my arms, I'll hold onto it for as long as I can even though you let go of mine.

          You have kept me enough under your warm shade, it is time for you to rest. But still, please watch me.

          Wait for me.

          .

          .

          Just a few more seconds before
          it's my time to go.

          Another decade has gone by, I am slowly following in your footsteps. Finding your hand that leads me to you. I closed my eyes once again, reaching for your hold. And I woke up . . .

          I saw blue eyes staring back at mine.

          .

          .

          Hello my God, and my love, at last
          I am home.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Song inspired: One Last Dance by Us the Duo
small manga reference: Hirano to Kagiura <33
(ps. I just love them :'))