Chapter 1, Awakening

This wasn’t what I intended. Here I lie on the ground bleeding to death. I didn’t want to kill her, I swear. I just wanted to protect her. She should have been asleep for a century. This was not to be either of our fates. Where did I go wrong? I guess it started at my beginning.

The thing about fairies is that they aren’t supposed to be born. They’re supposed to be forged. We’re beings of pure magic. It is possible to birth a fairy but it’s extremely rare. Like most fairies, I was forged. I remember waking up in the woods. There were four fairies standing in a circle around me. I was wearing a dress made from leaves. Each of the figures had a form of energy on their backs in the shape of wings.

They were magnificent. One was dressed in a robe, another had the most beautiful blonde hair, another was dressed in a red gown, and the last wore a crown that dazzled in the moonlight. The blonde one came towards me and held out her hand, “Welcome dear child. Take my hand and stand.” she said. The others seemed to judge her. I did as she said and took her hand. She smiled at me. It had a sense of calm to it, “I’m Estella. Otherwise known as the blue fairy.”
“I’m Rosalie. One of the three good fairies.”
“I’m Josphephine. I’m known throughout the land as the fairy godmother.”
“We created you child. Welcome to the enchanted woods. Welcome to your new home. I’m Queen Elora. You were made with great promise child. Now, we need to give you a name.”
“What exactly am I supposed to be?” I said. The four looked at me in shock. My voice sounded like that of a bird. It was soft and clear.

Then I felt this energy. A light glow surrounded my back. It seemed silver. Like that of the moon above. The queen had a look on her face that seemed shocked, “Already talking and formed your wings. Now, back to the matter at hand. Your name,”
“Lavender.”
“She is not a Lavender.”
“What about Aurora?”
“It’s lovely but it doesn’t seem to fit her.”
“Opal.”
“We’ve already got an Opal.”
“There can be two.”
“Well why don’t we ask her. What do you want your name to be?” Estella asked. I looked around at the group of women unsure of what to do. Then I looked up, “What’s that?”
“That’s the moon.”
“I like it. Can I be moon?”
“You can’t be named moon child.”
“Rosalie. I got it. How do you like Celine? It’s a moon related name.”
“Celine? I like it.”
“Well then, Celine it is.” the queen proclaimed. Estella then walked with me as the others walked ahead. They acted all high and mighty. Not Estella.

Estella was one of the kindest fairies of them all. When she told me stories about her charges, she gave most of them second chances. As I learned about my kind I came to realize that second chances were rare. It seemed that Estella was different in that aspect and believed that everyone deserves a second chance.

Rosalie, Fern, and Maybelle were the three good fairies. Rosalie being their leader. They seemed to concern themselves more with fashion and looks. They had all of the most beautiful charges. Most were princesses or people who would become princesses.

Josephine could be quite motherly at times. Her personality is probably where her nickname came from. Her most well known client was Cinderella. I often questioned the shoes made of glass. Those could not have been comfortable in any way, shape, or form. No wonder that girl lost her shoe. It's quite the miracle that they didn’t break in the first place.

Then there was Elora. The only one who could control all five of them. She had created this council with the ones she had trusted the most. The most powerful fairies in the world. The most beautiful of all the fairies.

Now you must be asking, what about Neverland? Well that's another story. From what was told to me it seemed like there was some kind of rebellion. Fairies come in all sizes. It's really just an option. All I knew was to never bring them up again.

Before final arrangements could be made for my home, Estella offered to take me in. I entered her home and looked around. Everything was different shades of blue. Except for one thing, a bowl. It was something peculiar. A delicate white with red flowers. I picked it up to observe it, “Don’t touch that. If it ever broke then I wouldn’t know what to do with myself.”
“I’m sorry. It’s quite pretty.”
“Thank you. It belonged to someone very important to me.”
“Therefore it is important to you.”
“I have to say, it’s only been a few hours. You already have an astonishing grip on empathy. You’re developing faster than any other fairy I’ve ever seen. You show great promise Celine. I see you doing great things with it.”
“Thank you.”
“Just remember, do what you believe is right. Not what others tell you is right. If I had done that, I would be with the person who gave me that bowl.”
“Could you tell me about them one day?”
“Yes. Just not now. Look at you. One of the most beautiful of our kind. We’ll have you out and about in no time my dear. Now stay perfectly still. I think we should give you more suitable clothes for sleep.” Estella said. Out of thin air she conjured a wand. It had a star on top. With a wave of her wand blue sparks flew around me. My dress of leaves transformed into a white nightgown.

I observed the cloth on my body. It felt soft and cozy. Estella couldn’t help but giggle at the girl who seemed like a little lost puppy, “I didn’t want to make it blue. Just because I have a preference doesn’t mean that you do. Blue is a lovely color but until you find out who you are, white seems nice. You are a blank slate after all.”
“Will my wings change too?”
“Yes. When I was brought into the world my wings were a shade of white. Now they’re blue.”
“Mine seem gray.”
“I will admit. I haven’t seen gray before. They look more silver to me. Still doesn’t change the fact that this is the first time I’ve seen such a thing. Now’s not the time for that though. Come, it’s time for bed.” Estella explained. She led me to a room. Like everything else in the house, it was blue.

There was what I could only assume to be a bed. I walked in and sat down on it. It was comfortable. Estella watched my reaction, “I have a good feeling that you’re going to enjoy eternity.”
“Eternity?”
“Fairies like us. Don’t die of old age. We can be killed but it’s rare. We live forever. I hope you enjoy spending your life with us. Enjoy eternity. Good night Celine.” Estella explained. She closed the door behind her. I sat in the room and looked out the window. I saw the moon high in the sky. It was the very thing I had been named after.

The first day of what I thought would be an extremely long life had come to an end. Instead of falling asleep on my bed, I fell asleep at the window. My head rested upon the window sill. The next day would be interesting.