A new flame blazes

Few things could cause Axel Blaze to fall into a state of anxiety, and that his wife had already passed the expected delivery date by a few days was one of them. On December 31, 2022, snow fell in large quantities and the Tokyo landscape was whitewashed. She could not remember such a cold winter in her twenty-six years of life. He was already missing the temperatures in Miami, where he had spent the last few months on a collaborative effort between the two youth federations. Still, he could not help but be enchanted as he looked through the opening left on purpose by the shoji at the now-white garden, lost in thought.

Pov. Axel

Who knows if my son would have loved soccer as much as I did, or if he wanted to become a doctor or an entrepreneur, either way, I would have loved him more than my own life. I watched Luna styling her dark hair as she sat at the dressing table. She looked beautiful with her baby bump, hidden at that moment under the red dress she had carefully chosen for that evening's party. I had tried hard to convince her to stay home, but she had not listened to me. The only response I had received was that if Nelly Evans and Alyxia Sharp would come even if pregnant, she would not be outdone. She had deliberately ignored me as I tried to point out that she was the only one close to giving birth. The first one still had about three months to go, while the other had as many as six. I approached her and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

«Axel what are you doing taking off all my makeup.» I sighed; that was just the way she was. Appearances were much more important than expressions of affection, it was nothing new, and deep down I even loved her for that.

«I'll ask you one last time, are you sure you don't want to stay here and maybe see a movie while waiting for midnight?»

«Yes. We'll go to the Schiller party and toast with your friends on New Year's Eve. I will never be less than any surgeon, much less a housewife.» Sooner or later, I would have to tell her about Nelly's talent in business and that she was the one who managed all the family fortune. The two of them had never taken much of a liking to each other, not even with Alyxia she had this great relationship, to tell the truth, perhaps because in discussions she always patronized the other, however, they didn't throw barbs at each other all the time like they did with my old friend. I was sorry to say, that our wives got along well was a dream the three of us had since we were kids, and I had to admit that it was often Lu who looked for irony in her responses with her phrases.

«If that's what you want then we have to go.»

We reached the villa almost half an hour later. It had been decorated down to the smallest detail, creating an almost magical atmosphere. The hosts were at the foot of the grand staircase located in the imposing atrium welcoming guests, radiant as ever. Ever since we had found out that they had been dating, many years before, I had begun to wonder how their so particular colors would blend into a hypothetical child, maybe sooner or later I would see it with my own eyes. Bellatrix smiled at us as soon as she noticed us.

«Boy, how nice of you to come, I hope the move was not too tiring.»

«No, it's okay...»

«In any case, we did it gladly, we wouldn't have missed the party for anything.» My wife interjected as a bright smile broke out on her lips.

«I'm glad of that. Both Mark and Jude are already in the salon if you want.» We took our leave with a light greeting, ready to advance to the room indicated to us. I discerned on an antique grandfather clock that it was already nine o'clock in the evening, not long before midnight.

«Hey, Axel!» The doorman's exuberant greeting caught my attention. I held back a laugh as soon as I noticed his attire-he was the only one able to match an evening gown and his orange sash. Looking at the director's expression, I was quite convinced that he had had the same impression as me. I turned at that point to the women at their side.