Chapter 1

I slide open the wax seal on the letter. It was an invitation to a ball from Earl Phantomhive tomorrow night.

"Myriam," I called. "Can you get the carriage ready? I need to head to London to get a new dress."
"Yes, Lady _______, right away," Myriam answered. She dashed out the door of the study.

My white cat, Francis, jumps onto my lap as I pick up the newspaper on my desk. Another disappearance in the last two weeks. It's getting very scary now. I set down the newspaper and pull out my stationary to write an acceptance letter to the Phantomhive Ball.

By the time a place my wax seal on it, Myriam returned. I got up and followed her down the hall and out the front doors. My coachman, Thomas, was holding the door open for Myriam and I. He helped me in as well as Myriam. He planted a kiss on her hand. They were lovers, but I warned them not to get too mushy around me. I laugh to myself as I remember catching them kissing in the hall outside my study. They were startled and didn't know what to do.

I lean back onto the cushioned seat.
"Myriam, can you wake me up when we arrive in London?" I ask.
"Yes, Lady _______." She replied.
I lowered my head onto the seat and closed my eyes.

<><><><><><><><><><><><

Myriam wakes me up. "We've arrived in London, ma'am," she says. I sit up. Myriam leans across the seat and fixes my (h/c) (h/l) curls.

Thomas then pulls in front of my favorite tailor. I tell Myriam and Thomas to enjoy themselves in London as long as they are back by late afternoon. Myriam hugs me and Thomas nods with a smile. I turn and step into the shop. Beautiful, colorful dresses line the walls on models. Fabric and thread cover the desk in the back. I head to that very desk. A short man sits behind the desks sewing lace onto a sleeve.

"Excuse me, may I have a dress made?" I say.
"Not today," he gruffs.
"Arthur, it will have to at least be started today," I say with a smirk.
Arthur jumps up. "Oh my Lord, Lady ______! I'm sorry! I didn't know it was you! I beg your pardon," he flusters.
I laugh. "You are pardoned. Now, about the dress?"
"Oh yes, can I take your measurements?" he asks.
"Yes, I will be ready in a moment," I say as I step into the dressing room. I strip to my under slip and step out.

Arthur takes out his measuring tape and measures all of my dimensions. When he finishes, I slip back on my dress and sit on one of the stools near his desk. Arthur takes out some swatches.
"What fabrics would you like?" Arthur asks.
"You pick. You always seem to make the best of dresses."
"Thank you, Lady _______! I will have the dress ready by tomorrow morning," Arthur says.
"Thank you, Arthur!" I say as I take out his payment.
"It's no problem, Lady _______! You are my favorite customer, after all!"
I smile, pick up my purse, and wave goodbye.

As I step out side, I realize that's it's only afternoon. I decide to go to a small café down the street for lunch. The whole place is full, so I sit at the only outdoor table available. A man in a waiter's outfit comes out and takes my order, a small sandwich with a slice of cake and tea.

As I wait, I notice three servants come up. They search for a seat and find none. A servant in a maid's uniform comes up.
"Excuse me, ma'am? My we sit here?" she asks. I notice her glasses are cracked.
"Yes, you may," I say politely.
They all sit at the table. The maid introduces them.
"I'm Mey-Rin, that's Finny, and that's Bardroy," she says.
"Hello, I'm Lady _______," I say.
They all gasp.
"The Lady ________? The girl who started her own fashion company at thirteen? Lady Elizabeth adores your dresses!" cries Mey-Rin.
"Yes, indeed and order whatever you please! It's on me," I say.
"Thanks," they say as they begin ordering.

We sit and eat a nice lunch. It turns out that they are servants of Earl Phantomhive. They ask me to await them at the square. They are going to ask if Earl Phantomhive can invite me to stay as a thanks. I tell them I need an answer before sundown. They nod and take off. I pay the tab and sigh. They seem like a handful.