v. the fourth year

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

FOURTH YEAR WAS LOOKING TO BE quite different than years past, and all because of the newly-resurrected Triwizard Tournament. The tournament brought with it students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, events that were meant to ensnare everyone's attention for quite possibly the whole year...and a huge row between Ron and Harry once the latter's name was pulled from the Goblet.

"Well of course I know he couldn't have cheated," Ron confessed to Kates one day. Unable to hang out in his usual group, Ron had taken to spending his time with Seamus, Dean and Kates. She, of course, didn't mind at all, and found herself rather glad of the opportunity to spend more time with him. They were friends, after all, and the added time had brought them even closer.

"Then why won't you tell him that?" she asked pointedly, and his face flushed. He tried to make up some excuse, but soon realized his words weren't going to do a thing and sighed. She didn't push, and he was grateful for that.

Also, she noticed, he was more gentle around her than he used to be. He wasn't doing so in an annoying way, but it was enough to make her curious. One day, when she made a comment about her family and Ron hesitantly asked for her to elaborate, she suddenly knew why.

"Is that why you've been acting differently? Because you've heard something about my family?" It was one of the rare moments when they were alone, as Dean and Seamus had risen late and were eating a later breakfast. Ron hesitated, then sighed and looked around to make sure no one would overhear.

"Sirius mentioned something that night," he began quietly, his eyes locked with hers. He had told her a bit of their conversation one day in the hospital wing shortly after the event, but now she was realizing she hadn't heard the whole story. "About how tough it is growing up in families like that. I-I had no idea—" She held up a hand to cut him off, wearing a sad sort of smile.

"It's all right," she said gently. "I appreciate your concern, I really do, but I'm all right. My parents are just...so incredibly set in their ways. They're uncaring, and they always have been. All they want is two perfect children who marry into another pure-blood family and support You-Know-Who's cause, whether he ever comes back or not. My brother, he's all right with that. He's never been outright cruel to me like his friends have, but he looks down on me, I know it, just like my parents do. I push back against them, and I have ever since I was old enough to talk. I didn't understand why we had to be better than muggle-borns, and Aunt Jackie was there to tell me that we aren't. If it weren't for her support..." Kates trailed off, shaking her head. She and Ron were sitting in the courtyard, and as she spoke their hands had begun to brush up against each other. It was a comforting feeling for both of them, and neither moved away.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "You shouldn't have to go through that." She shrugged.

"It's nothing I can't handle. Besides, some people have it worse, I'm sure. I'd rather deal with their snide remarks and constant disappointment than think like them. At least I'm on the right side." Ron nodded, unsure of what to say. He kept quiet, deciding that just being there for her was enough, and she was grateful for it.

The first task came and went and Ron was back to spending his days with Harry and Hermione. The Yule Ball was announced and the entire school could talk of nothing except what they were wearing or who they wanted to go with. About a week after the announcement, Kates was sitting in her favorite armchair with her legs draped over one arm and her head resting on the other. Her Ancient Runes book sat in her lap, and Neville and Dean were on the couch beside her, pouring over Divination work.