xvi. the astronomy tower

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

AT FIRST, NOTHING HAPPENED between Kates and Ron. Kates was still worried about his safety, and Ron wanted to give Lavender some time before moving on, which was equal parts respectful and safe. They had more of those moments Ron had talked to her about, the ones where they would be doing something and next thing they knew they were face to face, gazes locked and preventing either of them from moving. The only difference was that they wouldn't blush and turn away like they used to; they would smile, then only turn away when their attention was needed elsewhere.

Ron's poisoning changed everything. Kates spent at least an hour with him every day whilst he was in the hospital wing, and they had taken to holding hands rather often, sometimes without even noticing it (though their friends definitely noticed). Whilst the news of their relationship remained mostly confined amongst their close friends, upon his release just about everyone knew about it. To be fair, they didn't try hiding it from anyone and took to holding hands in the corridors and such, but it was strange, knowing everyone knew something so personal. Lavender glared at her any chance she got; a Ravenclaw she barely knew asked if the rumors were true one day after Charms; even Wesley murmured an amused "congratulations, by the way," one day between classes as they passed each other (she hated that their conversations had to be kept so short, but she understood).

Honestly, she didn't mind people knowing—well, everyone except Carrow, that is. She avoided him every chance she got, but she had caught him glaring at her and Ron one day during lunch. Ron had noticed too, and had made a point to put his arm around her shoulders. They were not one of those couples that made their love everyone's business (and even in private they hadn't done more than exchange the rare gentle kiss), but they didn't hide it, either, and the gesture was more a protective and comforting one than anything.

Speaking of the Slytherin, Kates had a feeling Dean, Seamus, and Neville knew what happened—or at the very least they knew something happened. She spent the week after the incident recovering, and whilst she had made it a point to act normal, there was only so much she could do. They knew her better than that, and even if they hadn't caught on, her and Ron's behavior whenever he was nearby was sure to give them a clue or two. She was just grateful that they didn't pry about it.

The next few months went by in a sort of tense routine; Kates spent her time in classes, with her friends, with Ron, and avoiding Carrow. It wasn't until June that the routine was broken.

During breakfast one fine Saturday morning, a third-year Ravenclaw slipped her a note in an admirably subtle way. It was from her brother, she could tell as much upon opening it and seeing his handwriting. She nearly smiled until she realized that if he was contacting her, it had to be about something important.

The note itself was short, asking her to meet him up by the astronomy tower in one of the corridors that would be abandoned at that time of day on a weekend. It was a safe space to talk, which only reassured her that whatever he wanted to say was something she needed to hear immediately.

She finished her breakfast rather quickly and excused herself quietly enough that her friends hardly noticed, for they were too wrapped up in their own conversations. She slipped out of the Great Hall and made for the meeting spot, careful to make sure she wasn't being followed (though she did that all the time these days).

When she arrived, she let out a small sigh of relief upon seeing Wesley already there, pacing back and forth. He stopped when he saw her, but he didn't smile, which only worried her more.