xviii. the spy

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

WESLEY'S LETTER ACTED LIKE A SPARK, once again lighting the fire in Kates' heart. She no longer needed to rely on hope alone; there was an escape, and she was about to make it. The last thing she wanted was to put the Weasleys in danger, but with great difficulty did she acknowledge their willingness to help her even if it meant putting themselves at risk. She, after all, would gladly do the same for any of them. Worst case scenario, they could help her gather supplies and she could go on the run like the muggleborns were being forced to. Best case scenario, they would know of a place to her to lay low, just as Wesley and Jackie suggested, until it was time to strike.

Now that she knew she could escape at a moment's notice, however, something kept her from leaving immediately. She knew Wesley would be safe, but wouldn't she have an opportunity to gain some information if she stayed for dinner the following night? The thought of spending time with Carrow and Bellatrix made her slightly nauseous, but if it meant the possibility of learning something the Order should know...

It was a risk—a great risk, really—but it was an opportunity too good and valuable to pass up. Bellatrix was Voldemort's second-in-command (or as much as she could be to a man feared by all his servants, her included), she had to know something that, in present company, she may let slip if provoked properly. As for Carrow...well, he'd tell her anything if it meant he could show off for her. All she had to do was act as if she decided to side with them...yes, it could work. Then, all she had to do was get Minky to take her the hell out of there and she would be free. She was only taking a single rucksack with an undetectable extension charm on it, anyway, so she could make a quick escape if need be.

Wesley was shocked to see her at breakfast the next morning. He played it off well.

"I'm surprised to see you here," he told her flatly, perfectly playing the role of the uncaring Death Eater brother, just as he had been not so long ago. "I was certain you would hide yourself in your room and spend the day sulking about your precious little friends." Kates was struck by his tone; he was quite the actor, which she supposed was the only reason he had lasted so long as a spy. A wave of pride washed over her, but she hid it deep within.

"I have come to a decision," she said, earning the attention of both her parents, who leaned in with great interest. Kates tried to put on as convincing a performance as her brother; she sat up straight and looked as if she had never been more certain of anything in her life. She spoke slowly and decidedly. "I quite liked my life as it was, but now I see that it only led to failure. If I want to truly succeed, I must stick close to those who do just that. I must strengthen my bonds with this family, both immediate and extended." There was a moment where Philip and Iris Kinley exchanged an apprehensive glance and she held her breath. Then, for the first time in memory, both of her parents smiled at her. She was too shocked to see Wesley's eyes widen.

"You have made us proud today, Katherine," said Iris approvingly. "Tonight's dinner will be a celebration indeed, then."

"I believe it shall," said Kates, giving a genuine smile, though it was more of relief than real joy. This next part was harder to say, but she reminded herself of what she could possibly gain from her words. "As it will also be the night I finally accept Ares Carrow's proposal, assuming the offer is still on the table. I..." She feigned a look of embarrassment, which wasn't terribly hard for her at the moment, "I was foolish in denying him. He truly is powerful, and I should like to learn from his example." Her parents glowed with pride. She now realized why Wesley had acted the way he had so long; when their parents gave such praise for such behavior, it would have been difficult to resist.