vii. the lies of the daily prophet

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

GOING BACK TO HOGWARTS felt different this year. Kates was almost sad to be leaving Number 12 Grimmauld Place, but at least she'd be back (Sirius and the Weasleys had invited her to stay there for Christmas). Beyond that though, the energy on the train was far more ominous and tense than it had been in past years. Everyone was either thinking about Voldemort's return or thinking about the lies being told by the Daily Prophet.

Kates, Dean, and Seamus didn't talk much on the way to Hogwarts. Seamus told them how his mother barely let him go, how she didn't want him to be caught in Harry and Dumbledore's mess. The way he told it, she believed every word the Daily Prophet said, so he did too. When he stepped out to use the lavatory halfway through the trip, Kates and Dean shared an uneasy look.

"I really expected better of him," sighed Dean sadly.

"I'm sure he'll come around sooner or later," said Kates resolutely, though it was clear that her optimism couldn't even convince herself this time around.

Seamus' row with Harry in the common room made it clear what side he would stand on, at least until someone talked some sense into him—or Voldemort finally revealed himself to the world, whichever came first. Kates was still reeling the next afternoon as the three of them sat together in the courtyard between classes. She didn't want to be angry at her friend, especially when it wasn't his fault he believed all that rubbish, but something about the whole situation lit a fire in her that couldn't be put out. Perhaps it was because she knew firsthand that he was wrong, because she had been forced to experience the other side of it.

"All right, Kates?" asked Seamus, who looked at her with concern. She couldn't blame him; she was rarely that quiet and she never went long looking so down, at least when around her friends. She almost let it go, but how could she? She was Kates Kinley, for Merlin's sake, she didn't stand by, nor did she let important things go. She hoped she would get through to him, but as she spoke she knew she could quite possibly lose a friend by trying.

"Do you really believe what the Daily Prophet's been saying about Harry and Dumbledore?" She asked the question gently enough, but the question alone was enough to make Seamus' brows furrowed. It came out of nowhere to him, but she could already see he was preparing to fight back.

"I do," he replied sharply. "Why do you ask?"

"Because," she began, sitting up straighter as she prepared herself. Dean looked uneasy, but she knew he was on her side and wouldn't say otherwise just to please Seamus. At least if worst came to worst, she'd still have Dean. She hoped it wouldn't come to that. "It's rubbish, all of it. You know Harry; do you really think he would lie about something like that?"

"Maybe we don't know him as well as we thought we did," Seamus snapped almost before she finished. She had seen him angry before, but she hated seeing it directed at her. That being said, she wasn't about to back down to save a friendship. She needed him to know. "Don't tell me you believe what he's been spouting—"

"Of course I do!" she replied, her voice finally raising for she couldn't hold back any longer. The sound made both of her friends flinch; they hadn't ever heard her raise her voice before. She lowered it again, so much so that her next words came out just barely above a whisper. "Do you know why I left home so early this summer?" He didn't interject, so she continued. "It wasn't just because I wanted a change of scene or to spend more time with friends. I was scared, Seamus. Terrified." Her voice returned to its usual volume, but wavered every so often. "There were celebrations going on for the return of You-Know-Who. My father received his Dark Mark, and my uncle spoke to You-Know-Who personally, he made that much clear—"