The Daily Struggle of the Starfish

There's sand underneath my nails, they're cut so short, yet sand manages to get beneath the ridges. I scowl as I hear my name being called. Maybe he won't notice,at be, just maybe...

"Damn Starfish, don't you get tired of being at the beach. You've got bits of seaweed in your bangs."

I quickly raise a hand to flick it off. There isn't any seaweed. Stark laughs so hard he has throws his head back a little.

If he wasn't my mentor I'd hit him so hard. Instead I fume silently and he tucks on my short black hair.

"Cmon Mari, let's get a move on." He grabs a few folders off the desk hands me a cup of coffee before throwing away the carton holder. He's so tall, even taller than me. I've been here for six months and I can't get used to it. Or maybe it's his incredible eyes. I shrug to myself before taking a drawl of coffee. I bump into someone and quickly excuse myself. Then turn bright red and move quickly to hide behind Stark who scolds him.

"Watch where you're going, Durkin."

"It's Duncan."

"Whatever. C'mon, Maravilla. Don't apologize." He whispers the last part and I raise my head and shake it off and roll my eyes when I join his side. "There you go Mar."

When we get to out office, I straighten out my uniform, glad that I'm clean and stain free. Stark pushes a chair back for me to sit and ignore it until he kicks it into the back of my knees.

Don't make him beg, darlin'. I hear this little voice interrupt my slightly shaken self. Every time I see Duncan I get a bit deterred. Stark practically knocks me over but I'm so used to him I wouldn't expect anything less. It's not his looks it's his presence. And I like it.

"What's the news, boss?"

He sighs comically, "Listen. My little third class. You have the best job in the world."

Tells me this every morning.

I wonder if I secured the board alright. He snaps his fingers, apologizes and claps them instead.

"Monitoring trials!"

Oh hell no.

The day is spent going over field and files, records up to date, viewing the network for breaches and phoning people to make sure they've updated information. So tiring. When lunch corns around I want to stay in the office and eat in my cubicle but Stark drags me out to conversate with the "locals".

Bennet and Fisher are about to bore me to tears. Glaring at Stark does nothing. Finally looks up at me and rolls his eyes. I mouth turd monkey in his direction. His sexy eye brows raise up. I almost toss a French fry at him until Bennet clears his throat. People have been saying stuff but I already know better. No dating coworkers especially if he's a second up for first next year. Oh and he's my mentor. Three checks. Duncan passes by as a reminder. Nope definitely not.

I put down the French fry and join the conversation. Stark doesn't look at me again. When we get back , we haven't even started the second pile. It's Friday. My hands itching to log off and sprint for the door. Last week my duty day ended on Sunday. Weekends free.

Jaybee on the radio said there was good forecast for the weather. Not surf and turf more boogie board. I don't know. He was wrong this morning.

I wave everyone off. Slide into the elevator before anyone else does. Elevator around this place is considered taboo only civilians and Chiefs take it but today I don't care. I hastily press the down button until a pair of hands reach out and clumsily stop the doors.

Please be Stark.

When I see Duncan's face I feel my heart drop to my butt.

"Fuuuu." I mutter and he makes eye contact the entire time. I drop the word mid ,uck, and awkwardly nod and look away. I plaster myself in my little corner and say nothing. I've been running into Duncan all week, coincidentally of course. We got stationed in the same place with same orders. I threw up in my coffee that morning and chopped of my hair the next. My mom was not proud.

If he's trying tell me something I don't know he's the master at ignoring, because he's an aasshole. When the doors open for the final door I clear my throat but he doesn't leave. I sigh in annoyance and walk out I hear my name but I turn just enough to press the close button before I'm out and give him a look that wipes the color out of his face.

Damn I'm that good.

When I get home they're waiting for me. Three clips in her hair, a dozen bobby pins clipping back her bangs. Dianna is doing something knew with Abigail's hair.

This is my home. Three bedroom apartment on the east of Oceanside, as life would have it. Modest little duplex with faux wooden flooring. And our little dog Skippy who like to prove she's more human then canine. She's laying on her back and barely raises her head to acknowledge me. She actually waves me off with her paw. The little shit.

"I feed you." I remind.

She looks up to sneer, as if to convey; I own you.

Fair enough. I rub her belly and comply to her whims.