look at me

In a twist of fate, Adrenaline found herself engaged to the scandalous second prince, Vivian. But there was no love between them, only one-sided affection from Vivian's end. He desperately longed for her attention, for her to see him with love in her eyes, but she remained indifferent.

One evening, Vivian stumbled home drunk, his face flushed from alcohol. Adrenaline, as usual, was engrossed in her work when he unexpectedly knelt beside her, resting his head on her lap.

"Adrenaline, why won't you look at me with affection?" he muttered, his voice filled with desperation.

Confused, she looked down at him, wondering what had driven him to drink so much and come home in such a state. She lifted his head, his flushed face still pleading for her love.

"I just want you to see me as someone you love, Adrenaline. Is that too much to ask?"

Silence hung in the air as she struggled to find a response. He had caught her off guard, leaving her speechless. "...Adrenaline?" he called out, his voice filled with uncertainty.

She took a deep breath, regaining her composure. "Your Highness, are you alright?"

Vivian felt a pang of hurt, clinging onto her lap as if it were the only source of comfort. Adrenaline sighed, looking at him. "You're drunk. You should go to bed."

"No... please... I need your attention," he pleaded, his voice tinged with desperation.

Without another word, she gently took his hand and helped him up, leading him towards his room. His legs wobbled as he leaned on her for support. He looked at her and wrapped his arms around her.

"Adrenaline. I love you," he muttered.

Her body froze for a moment, and she responded with a simple "mhm."

"Please... don't ignore me," he pleaded, holding her tighter in his embrace. He looked pathetic and desperate, yearning to be acknowledged by her. Unable to let go, she led him to the sink in the bathroom.

"Just look at me, Adrenaline... look at me," he said, his tone filled with longing.

She looked at him, her hand filled with water that splashed his face in an attempt to sober him up. Instead, it annoyed him, causing him to flinch and let go of her. He grumbled, trying to dry his face with his hands. "Why did you do that?!"

"You're drunk," she replied, not knowing how to handle this situation. She had never interacted with Vivian on such an intimate level before, except during formal meetings or dinners. "You're right, I am. But I'm still serious about all of this," he muttered, swaying slightly as he struggled to maintain his balance.

After stumbling a bit, he managed to lean against the sink, his expression still filled with annoyance. She held his arms, slowly guiding him out of the bathroom and towards the bed. "Just get some rest," she said, her voice tinged with exasperation.

"Fine..." he mumbled, but before he fell asleep, he called out to her. "Adrenaline...?"

She turned her eyes towards him, her hand lingering on the doorknob. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she walked towards the edge of the bed and sat down.

As soon as he felt her presence beside him, he took her hand and held it tightly. He fought against sleep, wanting to stay awake for her.

"Don't leave me," he muttered, his grip on her hand tightening. He looked so peaceful and vulnerable as he finally succumbed to sleep.

Time passed, and he continued to sleep like a child. Adrenaline attempted to get up, but his arms wrapped around her, pulling her back onto the bed. His grip tightened, as if he was holding on for dear life, not willing to let her go even in his sleep.