Prologue

Hopefully, a better world. 

Isn't that what we all long for? 

Something better to make it past our darker days? 

Maybe to not be thrust into a war that drags on for far too long? 

Maybe to actually have some semblance of peace? 

Hopefully, a better world. 

After Alucard killed his father, thus setting the world to rights, things were never the same. If he was sad before, now it was an irrepressible well of pain and sorrow. Something he couldn't seem to shake unless it was during the night hours. And he settled his pain with tender kisses, loving touches and hours spent tangled in sheets. Until the sun rose again, and he would be back to that irrepressible well of sadness. 

Hopefully, a better world. 

Trevor left months ago with Sypha. I've honestly been struggling to understand why he left. The fighting life just wasn't for me. It never was. I wish Trevor could have stayed close by; I miss him terribly. But at least he's happy. He's doing what he was born to do. But that's not what I was born for. Being the last daughter of the Belmont family came with expectations of the woman that I was supposed to be, the monster hunter that would help carry my family's legacy alongside my brother Trevor. I remembered failing to kill my first monster as a child, at the tender age of nine. Trevor killed his much earlier than I did. I'm better at killing monsters now, but I wasn't then. Knowing he's better, more experienced than me at these things, it didn't hurt. The only thing that hurt was thinking I was failing the Belmont name by not being able to kill as effortlessly as he did.

Hopefully, a better world. 

I'd never tell Alucard that seeing the vampire skulls in the Belmont Hold disgusted me. I think that maybe, just maybe, us being kindred spirits in despising the work of my family would separate me from being all that I am. From being Trevor's sister. I couldn't tell Trevor that either, he'd never believe me. Alucard and I are complicated. By night, we explore our passion in the sanctity of the bedroom, but that's where it starts and ends. Nothing in the morning, or the afternoon. I don't even know if love is even really there. I'm not even sure if he loves me. Alucard himself is complicated, broken, detached from the world around him. Living in the castle above the Belmont Hold is lonely. The days are long, and repetitive. Sometimes, I can't even hear Alucard when he moves around the castle, and most days, I have to trail the endless passages for hours just to find him. 

Hopefully, a better world. 

It's been too long since I've seen Trevor and Sypha. There's no communication that goes between us. Like Alucard, I feel detached from all that I am. We're just two lonely people rambling around a world that no longer feels like ours. But I'm determined to try and make this place feel like home. 

Hopefully, a better world.