Chapter 1 - Walden

(Use p/t in replacement of a parental title, eg: mom, dad, ren, etc. Oh and by the way, Estelle is adopted, like Ophelia. You adopted her when she was three, she's been in your care for two years.)

"Estelle! Hey, sweetie! I'm off work now."

You said to your daughter Estelle, who was peacefully coloring in the break room. Her eyes lit up, and she smiled at you.

"Oh, yay! Are we gonna go now?"

You nodded at her, and she hopped up from her seat, smiling as she grabbed her crayons and few sheets of paper she had in one hand, and held yours with the other.

You made sure not to lead her through Production.

You'll be damned if she ever sees what goes on there.

Out in the parking lot, Estelle got in the backseat of your car, her little legs swinging happily.

You, however, weren't as happy.

Today wasn't just an outing for fun. You had to tell her today, tell her about the one thing that left a hole in your heart.

Walden.

Of course, you weren't going to spill to this 5 year old about how weekly you lay in bed holding back tears because you are convinced it was your fault, how you wish that if the universe was going to take him, then they might as well kill two birds with one stone and get you as well.

A kid doesn't need to be burdened with that.

You'll share only the good things, tell him how sweet he was, how he cared for you.

About Estelle's unofficial older sister, Ophelia.

Eventually you pulled into the parking lot of the quiet little park near the factory, hopping out to take Estelle's hand and lead her across the parking lot.

"Hey, sweetpea?" You broke the silence, and Estelle looked at you with those trademark joyful eyes of hers.

"Yeah?"

"I gotta talk to you about something important today, alright? We gotta have a big kid talk."

Her expression turned serious, or, as serious as a five year old can seem. She nodded in understanding, looking around in thought. She seemed to stare behind her for a minute. It seemed fine, though, as she continued walking with you.

"Okay." She replied. "About what?"

"Well," You answered, gesturing for her to sit down next to you on one of the park benches, "Do you remember when I told you about Walden?"

She seemed to light up. "Mhm! You showed me a picture, his arm was so cool!"

You chuckled. "Yes, well, a few years ago, he passed away. He was very special to your dear old p/t, I loved him a lot."

Estelle nodded, asking, "Was he nice?"

You smiled, "He was very nice, yes. If he were still around I'm sure he would love you, so much. You wanna know something super cool?"

You asked her, and she seemed to get even brighter.

"Yeah!"

"Okay, well, did you know Walden had a little girl just like you? She also passed away, though."

She gasped, and got up from her seat and began to run around, spinning out of sheer joy. She eventually ran back over to you.

"P/t, does that mean I have a sister?!"

Estelle's smile was so full of unfiltered happiness, you hated to crush her dreams.

After all, that's how it should have been. Walden should be right here next to you, but he's not.

And you're convinced its your fault.

"Yes, if you want to consider her a sister."

Estelle squealed, spinning around again. Then, she suddenly stopped.

Then she ran in the direction she was looking earlier.

You chased after her, and apparently she's got legs for running because you couldn't catch up to your speed demon of a daughter. She sped down an alleyway, you still almost at her heels before she turned a corner.

Before you could turn that same corner, Estelle came walking back to you, holding the metal hand of a stranger.

Except it wasn't a stranger.

It was your supposed "late" love, Walden Darling.