the Amortentia

Songs to listen to while reading:

"Love story" by Taylor Swift

"My blood" by Ellie Goulding

"Friends" by Chase Atlantic

Slughorn's voice was already penetrating through the closed door to the dungeons when I arrived to potions. I slept in and still looked extremely tired. I still couldn't believe how I could have been late. Usually I was the typical responsible Gryffindor who didn't miss any class but this day it was different.
I pushed the door to potions class open and Slughorn's voice fell silent.
He slowly turned around and mumbled:

"Ah, Miss [y/l/n]".

"I am sorry I am late Professor. I slept in", I apologised at the doorframe.

A bunch of other students were standing behind him. In front of them two or three heated cauldrons stood on the table. Luckily Slughorn was nothing like Snape. I sometimes even doubt he was a Slytherin like Malfoy and his friends.
He softly smiled and waved his hand towards one empty seat beside Hermione, a Gryffindor girl I barely talked to. I walked up to her and quietly sat at my chair.

"Like I said..."

Professor Slughorn continued talking but it was difficult to catch up since I didn't know what he was talking about. He pointed at a cauldron where some pink potion was heated. I didn't have any idea what he was brewing. I guessed I should aske Hermione later...

"Miss [y/l/n]", he called my attention to him again.
He must have see me zoning out.
"Please come in front of the cauldron and tell us what you smell".

Timidly I nodded and walked to the front row where all cauldrons were standing. In front of the pink potion one I stood still and looked at the content. Confused I started smelling the potion and asked myself why this was even part of the lesson.

"Tell us what you smell, [y/l/n]", Slughorn said.

I bent closer and inhaled the sweet smelling potion. It seemed familiar and had a touch of nostalgia. I didn't understand what strange feelings it triggered.

"I smell...sour apples...cologne...and mint".

I turned around to see some students wrinkling their brows and looking at each other in surprise. Some grey eyes were piercing me stubbornly. I knew which eyes.

"Very good, take a seat", told me Slughorn, absent, while walking to the front row next to the cauldrons.

Still confused about the others behaviour I walked straight to my seat and watched Hermione looking at me in disbelief.

"What?", I asked quietly.

Hermione and I weren't that much of friends, but she could have at least answered me. Instead she looked at Slughorn while he was talking again:

"Can anyone explain what this potion is and what it is called?"

Soon as he asked Hermione's arm raced to the ceiling.

"Yess Miss..."

"Granger, sir. It's Amortentia. The most powerful potion in the world".

Listening was like swallow sour sweets. I knew where this was going to...and I didn't like it. I made the mistake to look at Draco Malfoy at the other end of the class and cought his grey eyes. His beautiful grey eyes.

"It's rumored to smell differently to each person based on what attracts them".

I suddenly broke our eye contact and looked back at Hermione next to me. Of course it was Amortentia, how couldn't I get it sooner?
She confidently walked to the potion and said:

"For example I smell freshly mown grass, new parchment and...spearmint...toothpaste".

I took the eyes of Hermione as soon as she finished speaking.
Embarrassing, isn't it? The way she walked back was as unsure as I did feel when I walked back to my seat. Well, at least the class wasn't speculating now about whom I was attracted to but talked about who Hermione fancied. They weren't even thinking about who I could have a crush on, but Draco did. His grey eyes told me so as I looked at him. Not a single sign of any thought was shown on his face. Just bare confusion. Nobody knew but he. He knew who I smelled in my Amortentia.