Chapter - 1

I don't really remember how long I've been locked up in this godforsaken place. It seems like it's been forever.

The only thing that I seem to remember is being tossed into a rusted cell and my ankle being chained up.

"Help! Anyone! Please, help me!" I crawled toward the metal door and weakly banged on it with my fists.

My forehead was drenched with sweat and my brown hair was matted and dishevelled. An overwhelming sense of nausea struck me then and I gagged, but there was no food left in my stomach for me to vomit.

Vampires and humans have been at war since I can last remember. My father was our leader. He ruled and directed our people against the dead.

Until he could rule no longer.

My father was killed in a vampire ambush. I was taken hostage and thrown into this cell for 'safe-keeping'. I've been in this wretched and rotten place ever since.

Many other humans were being held captive. I wasn't the only one here. I could hear the shouts and the loud sobs coming a few cells down from mine. My stomach churned at the thought of what the dead were doing to the living.

I coughed into my arm and wiped at my damp cheeks. We were not to show any vulnerability to the dead, but as of right now I couldn't contain the lump in my throat or the tears brimming my eyes.

A loud bang was heard and I pushed myself back so I was pressed up against the cement wall; my chest heaving anxiously.

When I heard no footsteps coming near the metal door a few feet away from me, I relaxed.

Then, I felt my eyes droop and I gave into my exhaustion.

*

I awoke to the feeling of someone gently patting at my cheek. My eyes blinked open once and then widened immediately when I saw a burly male crouched down to my eye-level.

"Oh! I didn't mean to startle you." He flashed me his pearly whites, hazel eyes glimmering with amusement.

"Where am I?" I demanded, any sign of sleep vanishing from my face.

So much for hiding my vulnerability.

"The vampire's camp, of course. That's where we keep all our servants captive." He chuckled, standing up so he was towering over me.

"We're not your god-damn servants." I growled, yanking on my chained ankle. "Must I be tied up? It's not like I'm going anywhere."

"Humans can be quite manipulative and deceiving. Having you be tied up is a precaution." Once again, he smiled at me and I only stared at him.

When I didn't respond, he opened his mouth and continued to speak. "I'm Anton, if you must know. Mind telling me your name?"

I rolled my eyes and shifted my gaze elsewhere. "Am I to be interrogated? Can I not have a meal before you bombard me with questions?"

"Yes. Of course, human." The vampire pushed a tray of food next to me and I eyed it suspiciously. "Trust me, it's not poisoned."

"Excuse me?" I raised a brow. Should I address this buffoon as 'vampire' now?

The brunette vampire simply waved a hand in front of his face, dismissing the subject. "Your name?"

I took a piece of bread and used my finger to spread butter on it. I carefully placed it into my mouth and chewed slowly. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until the food was in my mouth.

Movement was heard from above me, but then I realized that it was just the vampire taking a seat on the floor in front of me. "You smell wretched."