September 25th, 1864

|𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟓𝐓𝐇, 𝟏𝟖𝟔𝟒|

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: As the world caves in by Matt Maltese

Dear Diary,

It's strange how a single moment can alter the course of an entire day. This morning began like any other, with the sun casting a golden hue over the fields and the birds serenading the dawn.

Today, however, wasn't any ordinary day for me. Today was my birthday! I was eleven years old! I know my brothers say otherwise, but I am a young woman now.

My brothers. I smiled at the image of them, Kaiden Salvatore, Damon Salvatore and Stefan Salvatore. They were my protectors.

But, although they loved me as a sister, I wasn't their actual biological sister. When I first found out this news, I was devastated and felt oddly empty, knowing that my real parents were out there somewhere. But soon enough, I realised that blood didn't make people family. . .love does.

But, like I said at the beginning, almost everything about my life changed on September 25th, 1864 when I lost everything.

Back to the morning, I woke up with joy, jumping out of bed as quickly as I could. Still in my night gown, I raced down the stairs, through my home and finally into the parlor where I found all three of her brothers standing up and smiling at me.

"Happy birthday, Rose-Bud." smirked Damon, his hands behind his back.

"Happy birthday, flower." said Kaiden."

"Happy birthday, Rosie."

"Thank you!" I shouted, immediately running forward and giving all of them a hug. I made sure to hug them individually for ten seconds so they wouldn't argue about who i hugged longer.

"Come here, open this present Rossana." said Damon, smiling at me with his usual playful smirk that always made me giggle.

He took my hand and led me down by their fire place and just in the corner, I caught a glimpse of a single box slightly hidden.

Damon reached forward and grabbed the blue box and delicately placed it in my arms. I wasted no time in ripping the box open , too excited to contain myself, and gasped as I saw a beautiful pair of blue shoes, the straps were decorated in blue flowers, laced with silver outlining.

I stared at the shoes in awe for a few moments longer before remembering that I had to be polite and looked up at my brother, "Thank you, brother. I love them, they-they're beautiful!"

I lunged forward and wrapped my arms around my brother's neck, laughing joyfully as he kissed by cheek and pinched my arms playfully.

"Damon lied to us about this one, sister." said Kaiden, walking beside Damon and looking down at me, "He told us we were getting one big present together, but he couldn't help but spoil you, could you Damon?"

"How couldn't you with this little face?" Damon laughed, reaching in and pinching my cheeks between his fingers, "How old are you? Six?"

I rolled my eyes and slapped him lightly on the arm, making sure I didn't cause him pain, "Don't be so silly! I'm eleven! I'm a big girl now!"

"Oh is that so?" asked Stefan, swooping in and picking me up before Damon could respond, "If you are such a big girl now, reckon you could still beat me in a fight?"

"No!" I shouted as I was flung upside down and hung from my brother's shoulder, Stefan, "Stef! Put me down!"

Stefan laughed as he carried me all the way back to my room before planting me on the floor and walking back over to the door, "Get ready, dear sister. I've left your new dress out for you."