A Doll for a Date

Stiles's daughter had been begging for one toy in particular for Christmas. It was brand new and Stiles had been saving to get it for her. Being a single dad had been hard but Evelyn, his little Evee, was everything to him and if she wanted a doll then she would get a doll.

He reached the toy aisle, hoping the toy was still in stock, only for his heart to shatter as he watched a man take the last one. Stiles swallowed thickly and cleared his throat. "Uh. Excuse me sir?"

The man turned and if Stiles wasn't so desperate for the doll, he'd be speechless over the gorgeous man. "What?"

Stiles gulped and gathered himself. "Is there any chance I can get that doll?"

Blue eyes widened in surprise and then the guy tilted his head. "This doll?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"My daughter wants..." Stiles trailed off and pulled out his buzzing phone. "Just a sec. Please?"

"Sure."

Stiles answered the phone with a slightly worried tone. "Jax? Evee?"

"She's fine. I just wanted to see how the search was going."

"Good," Stiles replied, his tone full of relief. His eyes flicked to the guy and the doll. "I'll be home soon."

"We'll be here. Be safe."

"Always am."

"Liar."

Stiles smiled. "Guilty. Okay. Bye, Jax."

Once he hung up Stiles noticed the guy watching him. "What?"

The man quirked a brow. "That her?"

"Uh. No. That was my Jax."

"Your. Jax."

Stiles blushed and nodded. "Uh yeah. Jax is—He's my—We've been best friends since uh forever."

"Ah."

"So..." Stiles trailed off and gestured. "The doll?"

The man hummed in thought. "Theo."

"What?"

"My name. It's Theo."

"Oh! Uh hi. You're Stiles, I'm Theo." Stiles's cheeks flushed crimson and he sighed in mortification. "Hi, Theo. My name is Stiles."

Theo smiled, chuckling softly. "Nice to meet you." He glanced at the doll and then back at Stiles. "You know I didn't plan on getting this doll. My sister's little girl mentioned it but she doesn't need it."

Stiles tensed slightly and crossed his arms defensively. "My daughter doesn't need it but she wants it and I—"

"You're a good dad who loves his daughter and wants to give her something she wants." Theo smiled and shrugged one shoulder, seemingly nonchalant and yet anything but. "An attractive quality I'd say."

Another pretty pink blush made Stiles's face soften slightly. "Yeah well. She never asks for anything. So, when she does, if I'm able to, I want to get it for her."

Theo nodded. "Fair enough. Tell you what. Here." He handed the doll to Stiles and then shoved his hands in his pockets.

Stiles was shocked and quirked a suspicious brow at Theo. "That's it?"

"Yep." Theo said, popping the p with his reply. "Why?"

"I don't know. I—I guess I was expecting you to try and make a deal or something."