𝕀~⚀

.⋆。⋆☂˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆.
❝𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓭𝓮𝓼❞

♤    ♠    ♧    ♣    ♡    ♥    ♢    ♦

𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐂𝐇 𝐀𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐆 the Sumerian spices and wares as the rickety sailboat pulls into the dock. Its rotting pinewood planks stand out like a sore thumb when against the glistening architecture.

The sea laps against it, encrusting it with a salty brine that catches the light like gemstones at the right time of day.

It makes you sick to your stomach.

The flaxen ringlets tumbling over your shoulders aren't yours. Neither is the lovely silk bodice or the mother of pearl set in the choker around your neck.

You were an imposter, a desert dweller dressed up in regalia in an attempt to pass off as a local. One stumble in this charade and sand would spill from the folds of your skirts, rain would colour your skin bronze once again.

You fiddle with the stone restlessly, shifting in your skirts with tense anticipation. The darkness is pierced by a narrow strip of sunlight and the shouts of workers unloading the cargo seep through the crack. You slip out from under the awning, using the sudden bustle of activity to escape undetected.

It is humid. This makes sense considering the entire city is surrounded by water, but it still felt like a sharp slap of reality.

A skipping stone's throw away across the ocean and gone was the arid climate, air charged with static, and sun-baked dunes that kicked up sandstorms with each gust of wind.

As if to further drive your point home, it begins to rain. It went without saying, but it never rained in the desert.