In The Night

Sleep evaded her.
Outside her chambers, the rain poured. On a normal night, this would have calmed her, but something was off now.
She thought about reaching for a book, so at least she could do something useful with her insomnia, but a memory snuck into her head instead.
"What are you reading, Aveline?"
"The history of Alace-"
She turned toward the window in her room, trying to block the thoughts. Rain drops chased each other down the glass, but all she saw was her mother's disapproving face.
"That is not for you." Her mother had snatched the book from her hands. Aveline gasped. "Why don't you read something useful? Learn how to help your brother get well."
Aveline felt her gut stiffen under the covers. She'd wanted to retort. Now she thought of the things she could have said:
"I've read all the books on all the illnesses, all types of medicine. I've spoken to the doctors and no one has listened to me. Victor and I have experimented with cures, and nothing has worked."
Her mother would gasp, and interrupt, but never listen, never empathize, and never change.
The anger melted away when she heard her brother's wheeze, laughing at her for letting it get to her.
She'd pouted then, and crossed her arms under her chest. He'd reached out his boney hand and placed it on her knee. She looked away, but not for long.
"You have to let it go Aveline. She'll never understand."
"No one does."
"I do." She turned back to his glassy eyes, filled with warmth. "This life was never meant for me, but it was meant for you."
Aveline had relaxed and smiled then, and she did the same now.
Tears collected in her eyes, but she didn't cry.
She took a deep breath, then closed her eyes, ready for sleep.
The frantic knock at her door froze her blood.
"No," she mouthed as she sat up in bed.
She scurried to the chair of her desk where her robe lay. She covered her nightgown before running to and opening the door.
A servant stood, quivering before her.
"Leanna. What is it?" She asked, already knowing the answer.
The storm grew fierce, and lightening brightened the hall outlining a figure leaning against the far wall.
Aveline looked up. His body language spoke loud across the distance.
If it had been him in front of her now, she would have fallen into his arms and never gotten back up again.
Leanna was saying something, but she couldn't make out any of it. She passed the servant and ran over to the man. He gave her a quick nod and together they strode to her brother's bed chambers.
More people, frantic with worry, rushed passed them, going to and coming from the crown prince's bedroom.
She saw her parents. They saw her.
Despite being dressed in their night clothes, they seemed no different. Maybe she was wrong, and this crisis was not happening.
Her heart thumped in her chest.
Through the ringing in her ears, she could still hear the words her mother addressed to her:
"Aveline. He wants to see you. Before he goes."
This was it. The moment she'd been preparing for all her life.
Her prayers had come to nothing, for it was here.
Aveline turned into the room without a second glance at anyone.