Chapter 2-First Ultrasound

Derek lifted up his sleeping wife's t-shirt and pressed a kiss to her belly. It was still early, and normally, on a day off, he'd be sleeping, too. But today was the day Meredith had her first doctor's appointment since they found out she was pregnant, and he couldn't focus on anything else. If being pregnant didn't make her so tired, Derek knew she would probably be awake. But apparently, their baby was calling all the shots, from what she ate to how much she slept. Over the past week, he'd noticed how she was starting to look a little fuller, not pouchy yet, just... different. And glowy, and beautiful. And he loved every second of it.

"I love you." He whispered quietly, giving her belly another kiss before moving up her body to kiss her lips. "And I love you."

Meredith's eyelids opened slowly, and she smiled against her husband's lips.

"Hmm..." She hummed sleepily. "What are you doing?"

"Saying good morning." Derek grinned.

He brushed some waves of hair from her face and Meredith wiped the sleep from her eyes.

"Good morning." She splayed her fingers over her stomach, like she'd been doing nearly ever minute of every day for a week. "Today's the day."

"I can't wait." Derek said softly.

He lifted her shirt up again and kissed around her bellybutton a few times, causing Meredith to giggle.

"How many times have you kissed my stomach in the past five days?" She asked.

Derek grinned, without shame. "Millions. And that's not stopping any time soon."

"Good." She smiled back.

Eventually, she knew it would become annoying, but for now, it was kind of adorable. The Daddy in him was already in full swing.

"How are feeling today?" He asked curiously, lying back in the bed with her. "Nauseous? Hungry? I can make you something..."

"I feel good. A little bloaty, but not too nauseous." She smiled and looked down at the still flat plane of her abdomen. "Mostly, I'm just happy."

He nuzzled his nose into her neck and breathed her in. "Me too."

"I'm tired." She yawned.

"Baby wants you to sleep, huh?" Derek asked with a chuckle.

Meredith nodded, rolling over and spooning against her husband, both of their hands finding their way to her belly like a magnet.

"I love you." She whispered.

Derek kissed the back of his wife's head. "I love you, too."

They arrived at the doctor's office promptly at one o'clock, opting to have their appointment in Meredith's personal OB/GYN's office, instead of going to Seattle Grace. Her doctor, Dr. Halloran, was an obstetrician that worked at the hospital, and after they told their friends that they were expecting, it would be more convenient to just schedule appointments where they worked, but for now, they just wanted to keep it between them.

After filling out piles of paperwork, and reviewing the medical histories of both of their families, they were finally taken back to an exam room. As she hopped up onto the table in her hospital gown, the paper drape beneath her bottom crinkled, and she swung her legs back and forth nervously.

Derek smirked at his wife, hoping he could ease her jitters.

"You look cute in a hospital gown." He chuckled.

"Haha." Meredith said wryly. "Funny guy."

"Remember the last time you were panty-less in a gown on an exam table?" Derek asked, flashing her an amused grin. "That was fun."

Meredith shook her head and laughed.

"Okay, if you ever want to look at what the doctor is about to look at, ever again, shut up. Now." She joked.

Derek got up from the chair against the wall and walked over to her.

"Nothing to be nervous about." He assured her, taking her hand.

"Easy for you to say. You're the guy. No one pokes and prods you." Meredith giggled. "All you have to do is knock me up."

"You know I'm grateful." He whispered into her hair before kissing the top of her head. "And I love you."

Meredith leaned into her husband and let's out a contented sigh. "I know."

Dr. Laurie Halloran, a woman with brown hair and a friendly face knocked twice, then entered the room, smiling at the two of them.

"Long time, no see." She joked, having just seen them a few minutes beforehand when they reviewed their medical histories.

Dr. Halloran sets Meredith's chart down on the desk and begins washing her hands.

"I know you were in here for a visit back in May, but I'd like to do a quick pelvic exam, just to make sure everything is looking good