Chapter 3 A Disturbing Message

- So, Kat, is there anything I should know? - inquired Maggie witth that questioning expression on her face.

Should I tell her now, or will it be better to stay silent until tomorrow. I do have to digest a lot considering what I've been through tonight.

- I suppose, no. I'm really sorry for such a late intrusion, but I suppose it would be reasonable to spare the information for tomorrow. There is still a lot to figure out.- I see. For the record, you can trust me with whatever it is. You know that, right?- Of course, Meg. It's just... It's been a long evening.

How rude of me to keep secrets from my one and only intimate friend, but freaking her out with all the details of the cafe fight would be even worse.

- I'll prepare a berth for you. There is this brand new sofa Peter and I purchased a while ago. Such a comfy sleeping place.- That would be great, Meg. I don't know if I ever be able to repay you. - Don't mention it. Aren't best friends designed to help each other out?- No arguing.

As soon as the beds were ready, and the two friends had some herbal tea to make their sleep deeper, Katherine decided to finally check out her inbox being extremely agitated. Maggie was already having a deep sleep.

Meg is that rare kind of person who sleeps like a baby. These days it's something of a superpower.

Katherine felt her hands trembling when opening the laptop. An agitating thought was endeavouring her mind as fast as lightning during a thunderstorm.

It's from dad. Goodness gracious, we haven't seen each other for ages. I realise our relationship has been far from excelent, but let's hope father hasn't get himself into some kind of trouble.

When opening the message Katherine was stroke by the very first lines that got into her sight:

My dearest Katy, if you're reading this letter, then I'm afraid I got myself into real trouble, that only you are currently able to get me out of. I've been tracked down and spied for the last few days. I've made a groundbreaking discovery that might change the British history, and the history of the Tudors precisely, forever!

Oh, father! You'll never change. Even being in grave danger, you keep using those pretentious phrases...

And this discovery is the very reason I've been followed recently. These are dangerous people that will stop at nothing when it comes to treasure. All the information I've collected concerning this treasure I have cautiously submitted to The Bank of London. I've opened a safe deposit box under your name. I'm sorry to have put such a burden on you. Unfortunately, now you're the only one to solve this mystery.  In case you get into trouble, don't hesitate to contact Daniel Lawrence. He's one of my best students. You can trust him. He'll take care of you.

Oh, father... What could possibly happen to you? If only I could rewind everything like those old video tapes I used to watch as a child. Things could have been different. I shouldn't have let those insulting words out of my mouth the last time we saw each other...

Katherine nearly bursted out crying, pulling herself together at the last moment when realising there was Maggie sleeping next door. A tear of despair ran down her cheek.

P.S. My beloved daughter, I've messed up. Forgive me all the rude words I happend to tell you in the course of our last meeting. I want you to know, I didn't mean any of it. It might be my last letter, so please, don't hold it against me. You and your mother are and will remain the only people I hold dear in this world.

Katherine spent the remainder of the night sobbing into her pillow. That was too much to withstand...