~1~

RACHEL'S POV

I jump out of my bed two minutes before my alarm could ring. Now you might think that I am a morning person. Well you got me wrong. I absolutely love my bed and could sleep the whole day. But today is my first day of high school. I am sixteen and my best friend Vannessa will be with me. I am ready to start a new life. I don't want to sit in a corner and grieve upon my messed up life. I want to be strong and be happy just like my mother wants me to. I love her and I promised her that I will live my life. I will enjoy every day of my life and show God that I can live happily even after all the things he did to my life. I will prove all those pity stares that I don't need them and can live my life on my own. My alarm rings, bringing me out of my thoughts. I switch the alarm off and head to my bathroom. I take a cold water shower as it is really hot even in 6 in the morning. It is summer in Roseville. It is a small town yet really beautiful. It is really beautiful with beach nearby and a warm weather. Though it is really cold in Winters, this is the best place. I love this town and will never get away from here. It has all my childhood memories. Every corner of this place holds a memory of mine.

I get out of the shower and wrap a towel around my body.I walk out to my room and dry myself up. I towel dry my long brown hair. My hair is really long and reaches till my lower back. I always loved the idea of long hair. I slide into my black skinny jeans doing a little dance. I put on a long baggy red t-shirt that has a smiley face drawn on it. Below it, written in bold black letters is 'Smile It Looks Good On You.' I love this t-shirt. Whenever I look at it I find myself smiling. I brush my hair and pull it into a high ponytail. I put a little mascara. Sliding in my converse and checking myself one last time in the mirror I pack my back and head down to the kitchen. As usual my sister Maddie is cooking. Her blonde hair is perfectly brushed. She is wearing simple jeans and a lace top. She is really beautiful. All my mother's beauty genes were passed on to her. She has a body for which a guy would die for. Sometimes I doubt that I belong to this family.

I walk to my elder sister and hug her from behind. I love her more than anyone. She is my best friend and I can tell her anything in this world. She is the one who supported me in the most vulnerable part of my life. She was always there for me, even though she had to pay for it. My father hates her from the moment my mother fell ill. He never came to abusing her, but always shouts at her. He is so cold to her! I knew she is hurting inside but she always smiles, and never envy's me whenever father talks to me like I am his child. "Are you making toast?" I ask.

"Yes, grab one and better head to your school. It's already 6:45 and your school starts at 7:15" What!? For how long have I been showering? Probably 20 to 25 minutes. Oh my God.

"Thanks! I better hurry" I grab a toast and take a large bite. After I finish my toast, I go and kiss my sister's cheek. "Bye Mad. I love you and have a good day."

"Love you to baby, now go!" Mad says pointing towards the wooden door. I roll my eyes but still smile. I walk to the door and start walking towards the direction of my school. It is the only school in our town. It is at walking distance from my house. It takes me only 7 minutes to reach it. That's the best thing about our town. Nothing is too far away from our house and can be reached by walking too. As I walk I put my ear buds and start listening to songs. At 7:00 I reach my school. I better go and find Vanessa or else she will kill me. I walk to the parking lot and did not find her. Her car was parked but she was nowhere to be found. 'Maybe she waited too long and got bored.' I thought. 'But she never walked out like that. She waited even after the school started.' My mind reasoned out. Sighing I walk towards my locker. I find Vanessa standing by her locker besides mine. She was wearing a short yellow summer dress matched with some sandals. Her black hair was pinned to the sides. She had some makeup on which made her black eyes look darker. She is really beautiful and has a perfect body. "Vanessa" I cry out calling her attention "Where have you been?" She looked towards me and for a second I saw guilt and uneasiness cross her eyes.