Chapter 10 - Escape

Holt stops walking when he's 20 feet away from us.

He speaks in a commanding tone, "Your shoulder is in no condition to stay in the wilderness."

I look to my blood soaked shoulder. 

"Why should we trust you," I should still be wary. Even if they are better than Thorn I should still be cautious. 

"Because we can help you," he answers, "We can keep you safe from them."

I still don't trust him, "What's the catch? I know you aren't doing this for free"

He chuckles, "You are a tricky one. Armada only request that some simple analysis is made on your companion here," he gestures to Felicia.

"Such as?" I challenge.

His posture remains steady, "Well the obvious biological analysis. Few X rays, DNA tests. And a look in on her wings."

This time Felicia pipes in, "What does he want with my wings?"

Holt evermore remains calm, "Well it's not everyday a reptile walks around with bat-wings. Armada just wants to satisfy his curiosity."

"So what else is he curi-"

BOOM!

We all jump back when a tree 30ft away from us is blown to crisps

Holt calms his form down again, "I mean you can take your chances with them."

He then turns around and simply walks to the copter as another tree blew into an inferno. I look to Felicia and we both fall into silent agreement. We make a dash for it. Felicia quickly changes into a cat and jumps to my good shoulder. The helicopter is about a foot off the ground when I jump onto it.

Holt seems unfazed by our entrance, "Glad you chose wisely."

I nod to him and sit down, catching my breath. Felicia rests on the empty chair next to me.

Holt speaks when we're off the ground, "I assure you that I am a man of my word. And so is Armada," he leans forward and offers his hand, "Nickolas J. Holt at your service."

I shake his hand, which has a firm grip, "Colin, Colin Anderson."

He nods, "Colin, you can give us your life story at the meeting."

I flash a confused look, "Meeting?"

Holt smiles, "Yes, at the-"

KABOOM!

A explosion goes off a few feet to our left. The copter is jolted to the side. Holt rips a radio off the wall and practically screeches commands into it,

"LIEUTENANT COMMANDER! WE GOT AN AMBUSH! GET A SQUADRON DOWN HERE!"

Another explosion sounds next to us. Luckily the pilot seems to know what he's doing.

"What is wrong with them!" I yell to the enraged secretary in front of me. 

He looks back from the cockpit, "YOU! Can't you put so and so together!" he calms down, "Your friend here is an unknown being. Bad people want her for the wrong reasons."

It doesn't take much imagination to know what kind of experiments some people would pull. I put a hand on the cat's back. The sound of a jet soon rings my ears. I look out the side opening to see jets appearing over the mountains. I look back to see 4 Thorn helicopters after us. A soldier who I didn't pay much mind to pulled a rocket launcher from a crate. After pushing a button the back door opened.

I grip some handhold with one hand and hold Felicia in the other. The soldier takes aim, and after a second fires. Not long after the missile makes contact with one of the copters which blows into inferno. Not 5 seconds later the other ones burst into fiery explosions. The jets zoom past a second later. The back door closes and the soldier sits down. We all sit at ease. I let Felicia go.

Holt looks to the soldier, "Whats your name soldier."

The man sits straight, "Jackson sir, Jackson Murray."

Holt nods to him, "Well Murray you have my respect."

He stands stiff, "Thank you sir."

"At ease soldier," Holt looks back to me then says, "We should be at home base in a few hours. I suggest you and your friend get comfy."

I nod as he pulls his hat over his eyes. The soldier across from me is already laying down on the bench. I lie down as well. Trying to get comfy on the hard surface. Felicia curls herself up at my chest. I close my eyes and try to get a grip at what will come. 

(So whats the significance of Holt?)

(Oh he'll be important)

(For what?)

(Well the industry has military machinery)

(Ok and?)

(He has a high position?)

(And?)

(He called in a squadron of jets)

(So what does that mean)

(Wow you can't see it?)

(SEE WHAT)

(You'll find out)

(OH COME ON MAN)

(Hey you two again)

(WAIT WHAT!)

(oh yea Colin can intrude on our conversations when he sleeps)

(How have I seen you two twice)

(WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME!)

(Cause of that reaction)

(Helloooo I'm still hereeee)

(No get out)

(Hey wai-)

(Well this will get annoying)

(You said it)