On Despair

Only those who love, are capable of hate.

Emmeline let out a pained laugh, Is this what I've become now? A toy, an object to be tossed around and used? She thought as she lay on the floor,  she couldn't move,  she didn't want to, grief paralyzed her.

The demon she'd come to love, cast her aside at the first chance he got. She couldn't tell anymore,  if it was to protect her or not, she didn't want to harbor any false hope. Hating him was easier, so that's what she did.

She hated him, she wanted to rip him apart for killing her father, for leaving her behind. She wanted to tear her heart out of her chest which still held love for him. Which still hoped he'd come back to her. But she knew he might not. So she hated, even if it burned her heart to do so.

She wanted vengeance, to crush each and every immortal who revered her when she ruled heaven, but now mocked her turned their backs on her and her kind, while she almost died fighting for them, sacrificed so much for them. Cowards. They are just scared sheep after all,  not so different from the mortals they look down upon. Is this how mom felt?

She tried to reach out to her light but felt nothing other than emptiness, a vessel, the chain around neck draining, suppressing whatever was left of her powers. She had lost her light. She didn't know what she was without it. I No, no, no do not let yourself fall into despair, but what else can I do?

The tears had long dried on the cheeks, she sat up sighed looking at the moon outside her balcony, so beautiful. She got up and headed to the bathroom.

After a bath and change of clothes, the former Seraph left the room. It was time for another assignment for her so called mistress, she didn't even look where she was going, her feet carried her to the Great Hall.

The immortals were already leaving the hall, receiving their assignments she passed through the crowd her head held high, she will not show weakness. She entered the hall and strode towards her mistress, Plague, who was leisurely draped across her throne.

Before it would have taken some prodding and pushing from my so called master Lucifer to approach her, but today Emmeline Rosenhart didn't need any.

Adi, Sammy, and Mimi had an expression of unease as their friend approached the throne. Malbonte eyed her with a indiscernible look as she stopped in front of the throne and kneeled. Lucifer tensed as she spoke.

"Mistress," she said mechanically her voice devoid of any emotion.

"My pet," exclaimed Plague gleefully, "I wasn't sure you'd make it today after you passed out yesterday, have I finally broken your will, I can smell the despair rolling off you," she breathed.

"And it smells delicious, rise come to me I have a special gift for your next assignment."

Emmeline rose and stepped towards her mistress, Plague held out her hand, Malbonte who stood stoically beside the throne, handed her a sword without taking his eyes off the angel, he couldn't read her, why? Was she blocking him? No this felt something else, she felt empty, he clenched his jaw lest he said something.

Plague turned the blade in her hand and presented it to her, like a parent giving a gift to their child.

It was a beautiful sword and a familiar one, Emmeline sucked in a breath as she took it in her hands, the Blade of Sol. The last time she wielded it she was mortal, fighting alongside her friends on another plane, in another lifetime.

"An old friend, do you know where we found it?" she continued as she sensed the angel's growing despair, "your tomb, there it was resting with your mortal remains," she ran a manicured nail on her cheek and raised her chin sharply making her look at her, "do you like it?" she asked her eyes glowing.

"Yes, mistress, thank you," she answered, Plague licked her lips satisfied for now and motioned her to join Lucifer with a flick of her hand.

The weight of the familiar friend did flicker a spark of hope in her heart, but she buried it deep within, lest this cruel reality douse it with its despair.

"Your next assignment is with your master Lucifer, you are to destroy the refuge camps near a mortal city, and Lucifer you remember your assignment, dear?"

"Yes mistress, I won't disappoint you."

"You better not," she smiled.