Chapter 6 A Call To Salvation

Katherine double checked Prof. Lawrence's contact details before making up her mind on the next possible scenario the outcome of which was terrifyingly blurry.

So, what do we have here:

"Associate Professor Daniel Lawrence.
Faculty of History, George Street, Oxford, OX1 2RL01865 343-211-72daniellawrencehistory@gmail.com".

I see, consider I should start my search at Gerorge Street, or even make a call in advance, not to drop from the clouds. Poor manners are out of favour.

Setting foot to George Street, sanctum sanctorum of History, the place where all the professors and students were hanging out in their daily "learn and study" routine, and fishing her mobile out of her backpack side pocket, where Katherine tended to keep her cell phone, she felt a slight buzzing (turning on a rington was not in her custom, as an abrupt sound of an incoming call startled her every single time. This habit drove her closest friends and family mad as they couldn't reach her in case of emergency. "What can I say. I have a sensitive ear, besides, I don't want to embarass myself on public transport with people gaping at me every time I jump out of my skin when receiving a sudden call". - said Katherine in her defence).

Who might that be? In the circumstances I'm currently finding myself, receiving an unexpected call is even more intimidating than usual.

Upon closer examination Katherine nearly dropped the phone.

This is not happening... Am I dreaming?

She took one more glance at the contact details from the email.

It has to be him. But how did he find out I was about to give a call? Is this professor some sort of "Charles Xavier" type of guy or the Delphi Oracle? Okay, assumptions aside, just answer the call.

- Hello.

- Hello, is that Katherine? - asked the familiar voice.

They cafe savior...

- Yes. Who's speaking?

- Oh, thank God! I'm glad I made it to you. It's Daniel. The cafe last night, remember?

- Oh, sure. Daniel. It's so nice to hear from you and may I tell you how grateful I am for saving my life yesterday.

-Oh, please, don't mention it. I'm glad I could be at service to you. I was just wondering if you are safe and sound and out of trouble? Frankly speaking, I've been worried about you since yesterday. Your well-being made me quite unsettling.

- Oh, how very kind of you to inquire. I don't want to be a nuiance...

Seriously, you've only just met the guy! Overwhelming a near stranger with personal issues is quite a "mauvais ton".

- Please, Ms. Winters, feel free to share whatever it is with me. - said Daniel to dispel all the doubts and inconviniences.

- Well, to be perfectly honest, a great deal of things took place overnight and this morning, and I'm afraid there's no one else I can turn to.

- Ok, please, Ms. Winters, firstly, don't panic and calm down. I'm afraid I'm having a lecture in five minutes. Most of todays classes are scheduled at Balliol College. How does it sound if we meet outside the place near the entrance and then walk together to my office at George Street to sort everything out?

- Sounds good. - Katherine replied with relief vibrating through her body.

- Perfect. The lecture finishes at 2.30 p.m. Let's make it 2.50, shall we?

- Of course. I owe you a lot, Mr.Lawrence. - responded Katherine her voice full of gratitude.- Ms.Winters, would you please stop thanking me? I'm a man of honour and trust me, for now, that's the least I can do. - pleaded Daniel his voice as comfortable and soothing as usual.

I should probably stop thanking people too much.

- See you in the office then?- Sure. See you soon.

Having hung up, Katherine went on thinking what has just happened.

Trusting a stranger? Is it really a safe way? Well, I suppose in this situation it's my ONE and ONLY way out. I shouldn't forget that it's due to Professor Lawrence that I'm still walking these streets and not struggling to get out of some dungeon or wherever they tend to keep hostagesanyway.

With these disturbing thoughts in mind, Katherine went straight to Gerorge Street, hoping to clear up all this mess she had absolutely no idea how to deal with.