vi. the order

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

THE RUMORS WERE TRUE, that much Kates knew the moment she returned to Kinley Manor that summer. Her parents, who had spent the war building their family, were planning to be much more active this time around. Three days into the holiday and her father returned home pridefully wearing his fresh Dark Mark, hinting that Wesley's wouldn't be too far behind.

There were parties and galas being hosted everywhere to celebrate the rise of the Dark Lord. His presence was, of course, being kept secret from the general public due to his "grand plan," as her father called it, but his followers were rejoicing, and the idea made Kates sick to her stomach. She almost wanted to see him, at least then she could tell everyone Harry and Dumbledore weren't full of it. They were doing a good job of it, though, keeping him in hiding. Only his inner circle had seen him, and even with all the parties it was going to stay that way.

Kates' parents hosted a party five days into the summer. It was mostly a family gathering, with a few friends attending as well, but her parents made it very clear that no trouble should be made.

"We want to show that we fully support the Dark Lord as a family," said Iris Kinley in the firm, unloving tone she often used when talking to her daughter. Something was different about it, though; she almost sounded excited. It was disgusting.

She was forced to wear a pair of midnight blue dress robes, and for once she didn't push back. The color wasn't bad, but more importantly, she was too scared of what may happen if she caused a fuss. They could win this round—besides, if things continued the way they were, Kates would find somewhere else to stay before long.

"Lovely party, isn't it?" Kates flinched, the voice of Ares Carrow pulling her back to the present and out of her thoughts. She stood leaning against a far wall, half hoping she could just blend in and no one would pay her any mind. Of course if anyone would find her, it was him.

"Charming," she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm. Ares was in her brother's year, one above her, and she had known him for as long as she could remember. That was the thing with the blood purists: their families all knew each other, and had for ages. Hell, most of them had married into each other about five times over. As they grew older, Ares took a liking to Kates, and there were whispers that a marriage would soon be arranged for them, one that would occur once she graduated Hogwarts. Kates, of course, would take no part in it, so she mostly ignored the whispers—and him in general—altogether. He was arrogant, self-centered, and she was certain that he didn't like her for her personality.

"I saw your father earned his Dark Mark, that must have been exciting for your family." Kates bit back a scoff. "My father's had his for decades now, as have his siblings, my aunt and uncle. I expect it's only a matter of time before Wesley and I get ours." And there was the sick-to-the-stomach feeling again.

Whilst Kates' brother could be a prat sometimes, she didn't think he had any of that in him. Even as she glanced at him now, she could see that his smile didn't meet his eyes as he mingled with guests. She reckoned the blood purist stuff sounded all fine and good when they were kids, but now he was seeing it for what it truly was. He hadn't said anything, but Cedric's death rattled him, she could tell. He hadn't said a word to her once they got home, and usually he was full of snide remarks. He hadn't been friends with Cedric, of course, but the Hufflepuff had been but an innocent casualty, and a pure-blood one, at that. From what everyone had heard, Voldemort hadn't hesitated. That wasn't what someone did when their cause was built upon strong morals.