1.0

After the show ended, an absence was left in Duncan's life.

He no longer had an excuse to remain relevant in her life.

God, he felt horrible. Seeing the hurt and betrayal coat her face, lacing her eyes with a newfound hatred. He loved her. So much. Why had he given into temptations?

On the other hand, Courtney had never been happier. Or, at least that's what she wanted people to think.

Finding out that her boyfriend, the person she thought she would love forever, kissed the very same girl she was worried about broke her. Was she not good enough? Was she too different to him?

She spent every spare hour, moment and second wondering what she had to change.

Of course, neither knew of what the other was going through. They were just former lovers, seemingly now strangers.

"Hey court, wanna come down to the beach? There's gonna be a bonfire."

"Whose going?"

The blonde hesitated, wondering if she should list everyone.

"Well, you know... everyone! Lindsay, Justin, Trent, Geoff-"

"Will she be there."

"I mean, her and Trent are together, and I did tell him to bring a plus one."

"No thanks. I'll stay inside and watch Judge Judy or something."

Bridgette fell silent, lifting her mug from the table.

As silence posed as a brick wall between the two, all the finer details about them became apparent.

Courtney's hair was a slight mess, some strands falling over her face. Black nail polish was still visible in some areas as the night before she has tried a new 'edgy' look. The lack of makeup really showed off her eyebags, which she somehow managed to mould into a complimenting feature.

Bridgette's hair was perfect, despite the fact that it was still a tad bit damp. She smelt strongly of the beach, but then again, when didn't she? Her lips were chapped, definitely in need of some balm. Her sunkissed cheeks were naturally a little rosy, really complimenting her eyes.

The clink of a mug meeting table was all that was needed to break the silence.

"So, how's Geoff?"

"I don't care. I'm not going to some stupid bonfire gathering."

"You're lucky to be out of jail right now, why not make the most of this time? Who knows when you're going to fuck up again."

"Wowww, such a sweetheart aren't you?"

Sharpening her gaze, Heather crossed her arms. She had only kept in contact with Duncan's to keep up with the drama. She hadn't expected to be dragged into a long-term friendship.

"If you want to rot here in bed by yourself, be my guest. Wouldn't want you ruining the night anyways, especially since your "juliet" is going to be there."

Even though she was mocking him, Heather knew what she was doing.

His Juliet was Courtney. He never explained why he compared the two to the classic play, though Heather's theory is that Courtney had been the one to introduce Romeo and Juliet to him. He really had clung onto any aspect of himself that reflected Courtney.

Without even looking up from his phone, Duncan spoke; "What time is this stupid thing."

The bonfire started as the sun set, accompanied by the cold ocean breeze and the calming sounds of waves meeting shore.

Everyone began to arrive in pairs, some later than others. With every arrival, the group all arose to offer welcoming hugs or handshakes. For some people, this was the first time seeing each other since the show aired.

By the time Courtney had arrived, most people had made themselves comfortable around the fire. As her eyes wandered around, a small part of her longed to see a certain, familiar guy. When she failed to catch a glimpse of his green hair, she felt a weight leave her shoulder.  

That slight relief only lasted a split second as a certain goth abruptly caught her attention.

Gwen. The other woman.

Courtney spent so many nights lying awake, wondering why he chose Gwen. Was it the hair? Or her sense of style?

Or maybe it was just because she was better.

Courtney shook her head, breaking free from her chain of thoughts before joining the rest of the group. She could feel Gwen's eyes piercing through the back of her head, though she refused to look back. She would enjoy herself.

"Lindsay, did you do something new to your hair?"

"Get out of my car."

"I change my mind. Take me home."

"My home. You're a guest. Don't be getting too comfortable or you can sleep on the streets."

Running a tatted hand over his face, Duncan shook his head. It wasn't ideal for him to be living with Heather, but what other option was there?

"How long do we have to stay?"

Rolling her eyes Heather pulled the pierced criminal out of her car, "As long as I want."

She immediately wiped her hands on the sides of her jeans, before fighting with the wind to keep her hair nicely positioned.

Heather was never one for long-term friendships. She longed for the drama. She often found herself engulfed by it. You'd never find her complaining about it though. She was queen bee. She could get herself out of any situation easily. When she had decided to keep in contact with Duncan, she never thought he'd end up living on her couch. As much as she complained, threatened and bullied him, Heather genuinely did enjoy having a friend she couldn't scare away. It made her feel a little human, though she would never admit it.

As the two walked towards the rather large group, silence fell between the pair. Duncan instantly began searching for his girl. His eyes ran past everyone, dismissing their irrelevant presences until he finally saw her. When he laid eyes on her, he resembled a hurt little boy. His eyes were clouded with regret, and his broken heart might as well of been on display.

Nobody could bring out the emotions of a closed off man like the giro they truly desired.

He didn't know how to act. He knew she didn't want to talk to him, but how was he supposed to resist when she was right there?

The sound of crunching sand beneath his feet gave away his arrival, and Courtney was quick to stiffen up.

First Gwen, now him.

"I want to talk."