~FIFTY~

Always together, never apart. Maybe in distance, but never in heart. – Unknown.

The reason this chapter is as late as this is because apart from me trying to figure it out, I kinda had Imposter Syndrome. Hehe. But thank God, I'm out of it now.😂

Dedicating this chapter to May__hem because she's been a lot of help to my writing life lately. God bless you, May.❤️

AYO

I walked through the gates of River Brook Academy on Monday morning, the next thing I was going to do after heading straight to the assembly—because for some reason, I was late today—was meet up with Bolu and the others.

But getting to the Assembly Hall, I checked my watch for the time: eight-thirty a.m., and it was as scanty as the hairs on the head of a bald man.

Scanning quickly through the place, I realized that only a few of the junior students were around, scattered in different angles of the hall. No teacher was present, which wasn’t unusual, because most of the time, they showed up late to the assembly; what was unusual was the fact that I was the only prefect around.

I mean, not one of my classmates was present. It was also unusual that the principal and Vice principal were not around, but then, I remembered that they both had gone on a trip recently and were absent from school. It seemed that the teachers had left their duties in the hands of the prefects, all of them.

“What happened to the senior students?” Mide asked. I had forgotten that she’d been beside me the whole time. I looked down at her. She rested her weight on one foot, pointed her index finger towards the disorganized lines, one of her brows raised.

I shrugged. “I’m wondering the same thing.” I walked over to one of the disorganized lines, Mide walking closely behind me, and pointed at a random junior student. “Come here.”

“Yes, senior. Good morning, senior,” the scrawny kid—light in complexion, with freckles all over his face—said.

I nodded. “Why is the assembly so scanty this morning?”

I wanted, really wanted to, but couldn’t ignore how his uniform shirt came out at the sides, even revealing his undervest; how his shorts had pepper stains, how his white shirt was almost brown, and how his hair was synonymous to a mad man’s dreadlocks. On top of that, his mouth oozed the odor of rotten eggs. God, these children never learn.

“I don’t know, senior,” he started, “but I heard my classmates talking about something that happened between senior Ore, senior Bolu, and senior Chidera.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “Yes, senior. I didn’t get the full gist because I don’t have a phone.”

That’s right, my phone. Forgot about that.

“Okay, thank you.” Before he turned to go, I said, “Wait. Dress up properly. And learn to wash your mouth well. Got it?”

His face dropped before he gulped and said, “Okay, senior.”

“Do the dressing up now,” I ordered. I picked a random part of the hall, somewhere close to the instruments. “Go there and do it now.”

He nodded and dragged himself to the corner I sent him to. Not bothering to see if he actually did what I asked, because I knew he would anyway, I took out my phone from my pocket. I figured that whatever was happening, would probably have started from WhatsApp.