Birth

It's a beautiful spring day

It's a beautiful spring day. Last night a doe gave birth for the first time. Not just to one fawn, but two. A boy and a girl. Now every creature in the forest is coming to meet the new arrivals. Only two currently in the area don't know about the new arrivals yet. Oliver and his mother Jemma.

Oliver's POV

"Where are we going mum?" I ask curious as we walk through a new part of the forest. My name is Oliver and it's spring time. I was born last spring. My spots have disappeared and my horns have started to grow. It won't be long until I leave mum and she thinks of having another fawn. And I'll have to fend for myself.

"We are going to go see an old friend of mine. Last I saw her she was pregnant with her first fawn. We are paying her a visit, she is due any day now" she tells me. As the birds song above us.

"I wish they'd stop singing" I grumble. Mum chuckles licking my head fondly. "Mum" I whine. She just smiles.

"It's spring time my sweet Oliver, love is in the air" she tells me.

"Yeah, well I'm never falling in love" I tell her. She chuckles. "I'm serious" I assure her.

"Sure you are" she says looking at the path ahead. Some young bunnies run by and one thumps his foot on the ground. Waking a grumpy old owl.

"Wake up, wake up!" the bunny shouts. I realize it's a boy. As mum and I stop to watch the scene.

"Oh, what now?" the owl asks grumbling as he exits his home.

"Wake up friend owl!" the same bunny shouts.

"What's going on here?" the owl demands looking down at us.

"Do you know mum?" I ask her confused. She shrugs.

"It's happened!" the other bunnies shout. All sounding like girls. Oh joy.

"The new prince is born!" the boy bunny shouts. "We're going to see him, come on. You better hurry up!" he shouts and hops away with the girls on his tail.

"Oh how wonderful, come along Oliver" mum tells me. She follows the others. She sets off again, a little faster. I follow her, glad it's a boy we're seeing. We soon reach a thicket, where all the other animals have gathered around a mother doe and her newborn fawn.

"Jemma, is that you?" the doe asks. Mum smiles approaching the doe nudging her head fondly.

"They're beautiful" she says looking at the fawn. I frown, they? "Oliver come over here!" mum calls. I approach them. Avoiding stepping on any of the other creatures.

"My how you've grown Oliver" the doe states looking at me.

"I don't recognize you, sorry I don't mean to be rude" I tell her. She chuckles.

"I don't blame you, you were the age of my fawns when we last meet learning to walk" she states. I look down and see there are in fact two fawns, twnis. They had just woken up and are looking around in wonder.

"Are they boys?" I ask unsure. I hadn't been around many other fawns and the ones I have meet. Have all been girls.

"A boy and girl" she says nodding from one to the other. The girl looks up at me and we lock eyes. I get lost in her curious brown eyes.

"Well, this is quite an occasion, yes sir. Isn't every day a prince and princess is born. You're to be congratulated" the owl tells the doe. I look away from the female fawn. I look around confused. Why is everyone calling them a prince and princess? Why have they all gathered? All the animals congratulate the doe.

"Mum, why is everyone here?" I ask confused.

"Do you remember the Great Prince of the forest?" she asks me.

"Of course, he protects the forest from man" I state.

"Well these are his fawns" she tells me. Now everything makes sense.

"Look, he's trying to get up!" the male bunny shouts pointing at the male fawn. I look to see he is right. Though the young prince fails falling back to the ground. "Kind of wobbly, isn't he?" he asks with a chuckle.

"Thumper!" a mother rabbit says sternly. So that's his name. And she must be his mother. I wonder if she is the mother of all the baby girl bunnies too? They look like her.

"Look the Princess is trying!" the owl says. I look to see the princess trying to stand. When she stumbles, I shot forward and catch her with my body steadying her.

"Easy" I tell her. She licks my cheek and I freeze. She tries to walk but is very wobbly. So she decides to rejoin her brother by their mother. Both newborn fawns yawn. Clearly exhausted from trying to walk and all the attention.

"Looks to me like they're getting kind of sleepy" the owl states matter of factly. "I think it's time we all left. Come on, shoo-o, shoo-o" he says shooing the animals away. Before leaving himself. Only Thumper, mum and I lingered.

"What'cha gonna call them?" Thumper asks the doe.

"Well, I think I'll call them Bambi and Suri" she declares.

"Bambi" Thumper says.

"Suri" I say with a smile as she dozes off. Using her brother's back as a pillow.

"Yep, I guess that'll do all right" Thumper states before leaving to catch up to his family.

"They are both very beautiful, I'm sure the Great Prince is very proud" mum states.

"I'm sure he is" the doe says looking up through an opening in the bushes.

"Well we'll leave you be, you look tired old friend" mum states.

"You're not leaving are you?" the doe asks.

"No, we'll hang around until the first snow" mum assures her. "But you need rest" she adds. The doe nods her head looking down at her fawns. "Say goodbye Oliver" she tells me.

"Bye little princess, bye Bambi" I say. Before leaving with mum. "So where to?" I ask her.

"The meadow, my other friend should be there" she states. I nod my head and she leads the way. I feel someone watching us, I look up to see a huge buck with amazing antlers. He must be the Great Prince. Who else would have such magnificent antlers? I'll challenge him one day and take over protecting the forest. Where my dad lost to him, I will not.

Turns out my mother's other friend is another doe. Who had given birth to a girl last week. Honestly, is so giggly and girly. I hope Suri won't be like her. I can't wait to see her again.

A/N

Picture above of Bambi and Suri with their mother in the thicket. Picture in chapter of young Oliver with his mother Jemma.