Prologue

He gave you one last chance...

Heavy breathing replaced the sound of the ominous breeze that blew on the tall weeds. His vision was fogged by the thick clouds that rested on the snow-white grass. The only guiding radiant to show him the directions were the street lights as they flickered in fear from the presence of such a terrifying creature. He is thankful he wears a thick black hoodie on his trips, especially this one. With quick feet, he took sharp turns like a hummingbird flying in the air. He gripped onto his backwards cap as he snapped his head behind him, gritting his teeth tightly. He heard eerie sounds coming from multiple nextbots.

"Oh hell no-" he muttered to himself as he picked up the pace.

He dug into his front hoodie pocket, reaching for his precious treasure. A cola emerged from his pocket he quickly wrapped his fingers around the tab before jerking it back. Not wanting to waste any more of the sweet and fizzy liquid, he shoved and met the mouth of the can to his; swallowing the liquid as fast as he could. He gradually gained velocity before chucking the can onto the grass. Of course, such behaviour is littering, but he doesn't have much of a choice. 

He looked forward, focusing on the obstacle he might come across. One fall or trip and he is dead. A ramp... A ramp to the second level of a roofless building. Perfect. He grinned slightly before racing up the ramp. He looked back to see if the blue visor png is still following him. It is. 

As he slowly elevated to the higher platform, the air is getting thicker around him and much harder to breathe. He grunted as he endured the circumstances, keeping his eyes darting above his shoulders as the grass around him slowly getting consumed by the grey fog. The desperate college student glanced at the railing at the edge of the platform. He turned around to the nextbot once more before making a sharp turn, leaving the nextbot dazed as they continued accelerating forward. He threw himself out of the platform before landing on both of his feet onto the grassy ground once more. Ordinary people would break their leg, especially from jumping off a five-metre-high platform, but this navigator was agile like a cat.

He leaned against the wall before checking his watch again. He lifted his head up before letting out a sigh of relief, catching his breath from an almost endless running. 

"So, how did I go?"

He turned around to see a slightly shorter person who resembled a small innocent child. They had a huge smile on their face, enthusiastic to see him again.

"You nearly got me killed there, you know that Bobo?" the navigator laughed as he dozed down another can of cola.

"Yeah, sorry about that, Jard" Bobo chuckled as he rubbed the back of his head, "I guess I got carried away downing those leftover elysium survivors,"

"Let's not worry about that now, let's go collect the artifact we were supposed to discharge to Galf," Jard said, putting his hands into his hoodie before walking along the rails above the flowing river.

Jard looked and inspected the area. There were many crawling survivors as they gasped for air and begged Jard or Bobo to help them, but Jard only looked at them with tired eyes. One by one, they fell to the floor with their bodies no longer able to keep warmth, staying motionless on the ground. Finally, Jard looked over at Bobo.

"How many of these survivors did you even down?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

"I am actually unsure," Bobo answered, putting his hand under his chin, "but I am guessing I downed like over 9 people..."

"...a-alright..." Jard responded, looked away quickly and dragged his attention back to the direction where he was walking.

Jard made sure to mark a mental note to the back of his brain, never to anger Bobo ever again. 

The duo stopped as they admired the soft orange glow in front of them. The artifact seemed to be resting on a medium-sized pedestal made up of shiny swirling marble. It had a lustrous neon orange glow as it slightly resembled a snow visor. As Bobo's eyes were distracted by its beauty, Jard opened his heavy military backpack. His fingers slowly wrapped around the glowing artifact before removing it from the pedestal and into the depths of his backpack. It's not the world's most fanciest backpack, but it was still robust enough to store such a fragile and heavy object. Jard slowly lifts the radio to his lips before waiting for an available signal to contact the shopkeeper.

It took a long while before a noticeable response could be spat out from the small communication machine, but then a static filled the tight room.

"Hmm? Hello?"

The voice sounded grouchy but was clear for Jard to understand. They sounded as if they had smoked for years.

"Ah, you answered," he replied, holding the artifact closer to his face as he admired its beauty, "This is Jard, we had successfully collected the artifacts before they could snatch it out of our hands,"

"Great to hear!" the voice from the radio cheerfully responded, "I will immediately meet you two once you travel back home,"

"Thanks, Galf," Jard responded, hanging up the communication and putting the device back into his pocket.

Bobo rests his head on Jard's shoulder. The thick and soft material of the hoodie gently tickled his chin as he stared at the orange glowing material in awe.

Jard sighed as he dropped his shoulders, releasing all the tension and stress from many close calls he had come across the last few days. Particularly last month, when he barely evaded the wrath of the Elysium Corporation and Atomic Innovations. If it weren't for the help of that thing, he would have passed away.

"What are you thinking about, Jard?" Bobo asked curiously, wondering why his friend was staring off into the distance.

Jard snapped out of his thoughts.

"Oh, nothing special," Jard responded, quickly changing from a concerned to a serious expression, "let's just get back to Galf's shop,"

"Right!"