Chapter 13

It was the moment to leave

It was the moment to leave. Chaeyoung sobbed hugging her grandmother tightly while grandmother spoke looking into her eyes and said with emotion,"daughter,come what, never ever disrespect your marriage or your husband. If you don't have any love to give, then don't force yourself, it will come on its own, but don't forget that you are someone's wife now. whether you like it or not, you have to honor it till your death."

Saying that grandmother blessed her and moved back controlling her sobs while Chaeyoung stood near her chariot morosely with no hope, no happiness and nothing to look forward to.She had make sure that Jungkook won't come infront of her anymore by the virtue of what happened in last night between them. Chaeyoung heart felt some relief thinking about that. Her Mother cried her heart out as she hugged her daughter goodbye and blessed her for her new life, alongside her father who could not even cry openly like his wife. Seokjin maintained a stoic silence but his heart was broken to see his kid sister leaving home forever and others sobbed.

Seojoon's and everyone felt something is not right with Emperor.Since morning he looked so upset and openly declined their offer of participating in rituals.He neither walk alongside with chaeyoung nor even came near to her.All these while he was engrossing in other things.

They mounted their horses and rode back towards the camp. As they drew nearer, Jungkook heard, above the rhythm of galloping hoofs, a man shouting in anger.

"May be some rogues ?" He thought wearily as the sounds grew louder and more strident and oaths split the air. The commotion was coming from near the bathhouse tents. As he rode up Jung Hyun and wonwoo and Namjoon accompanied behind him.

"You've no right to steal from me. How will I feed my family this winter when you've taken everything - my grain, even my sheep?"The man gestured at the small flock of shaggy, brown-fleeced animals tethered close by. He was almost weeping with anger.

"Get back to your midden and think yourself lucky you go with your life. And when you see your wife, give her another kiss from me and tell her I enjoyed her thoroughly, " grinned one of the warriors who then launched a kick at the peasant, sending him sprawling. When the man tried to get up, he kicked him again.

"What is happening here?'Taken by surprise, the men stared up at Emperor.

'Get up.' Jungkook gestured to the farmer, who rose slowly and painfully, clutching his stomach, his lined face apprehensive. If he hated the soldiers, plainly he had no faith in kings either. He backed away from the imperious youth on the horse with the jewelled bridle.

'Stay where you are.' Jungkook leaped down and surveyed the tableau. The two jute sacks lolled before him, their pathetic contents spilling out. Jungkook ripped off his leather gauntlet, plunged his hand into one and pulled out some dun garments, a wooden cup and a couple of cotton bags. Opening the bags he found only some mouldy-looking grain intermixed with dark mouse droppings. The other sack felt heavier Inside were half a dozen skinny chickens, necks newly wrung, and a round cheese, the rind clotted with feathers and chicken blood. represented everything he held dear in this life.