Chapter 9 A Smoke Detector

When ready to leave the office to get going to Daniel's place, Katherine noted Daniel wearing a disturbing look.

What's on his mind? He seems uneasy.

- Is something wrong? - inquired Katherine inclining to somehow make his heavy thoughts lift.

- No, no. Everything's fine. We should get going. Wait me at the lobby, would you?

- Agreed. Are you sure you don't need any help?

What's going on?

- No, thanks. Please, leave all the worries behind. I'm fine, I assure you.

- If you say so.

Katherine had no other option but to leave the office not to make Daniel feel even more uncomfortable.

Why's he behaving that way? Everything went so well in the course of our chat and then he experienced a sudden mood shift. Was it because of some secrets of his own that he's not yet ready to share with me? I should probably give him some space. We're not even friends yet.

Katherine went straight to the reception. A woman in her thirties standing over the reception desk smiled broadly:

- Is there anything I can help with, Miss?

- May be you can. How long has Professor Lawrence worked here?

- For about eight years now. You know, he's a highly respected professional among historians and the university faculty. His students praise him not just for his professional skills but his easy-going personality and integrity. Oh, and of course he's a man of his word. Everytime someone in his social circle gets into trouble, he's always there for them.

- You seem to know a lot on Mr.Lawrence's account.

- That's part of my job, Miss.

Suddenly, Katherine heard the door opening and Daniel stepping out of his office shutting the door and locking it.

- Ms. Fletcher, has anyone asked me while I was away? - he inquired approaching the reception.- No, Mr.Lawrence. - replied the receptionist twisting a lock of hair on her finger.

No doubting this woman is in love with the guy...

- Has anyone entered the office in my absence? - asked Daniel one more question politely, but one could easily notice a note of distress in his voice.

- No, oh, yes! How could I forget. There were two chaps from the fire inspection asking to show them around your office to check if the smoke detector is serviceable.

- Fire inspection? Two chaps? - Danie's voice still polite but at it's edge.

He seems frustrated. What's going on here anyway?

- That's what I just said. - answered the receptionist a bit puzzled.

- Please, Ms.Fletcher, next time anyone asks permisson to enter my office, let me know first and let no one inside, would you?

God, a little more and he's going to lose his temper. What could possibly provoke such a change?

- As you wish, Prof. Lawrence. - replied Ms. Fletcher, this entire situation making her blue.

- Settled then. Have a nice day. - grinned Daniel taking Katherine by hand leading her outdoors.

- What is this all about? You look as if you were kicked in a head.

- They were here. - Daniel answered worry readable in his voice.

- Who? The American gorillas?

- Yes.

- How do you know it was them?

- As soon as we entered the office, I saw some of the books were out of their common place and the chair..

-What?

- Looks like it has been moved...

- You think they're spying on us?

- I'm sure of it and they disguised themselves as fire inspectors to install this. - he took a small black bug in a tiny plastic bag out of his jacket pocket.

- A bug? Wait a minute. My mind simply cannot process all this nonesence. How do they even no about you?

- Seems like these two have some high-level contacts after all.

- Who on earth are they and what do they want with me?

- I hate to admit it, but I don't know yet. I'm sure the police will have all the answers after this thing is fingerprinted. For now, your safety is my top priority. After all, I made a promise to your father to keep you safe.

- A promise? May I ask how you got to know him in the first place? And how do you detect such a thing. - wondered Katherine pointing at the bug which Daniel was still holding in his palm.

- I know you're in distress about all this. Would you mind if we postpone the questioning part till we get to safety? - pleaded Daniel holding Katherine's hand softly.

Oh God, his voice, his touch and charm are almost irresistable!

- Forgive me my impatience. Anything you say. I've never been in such a situation before and I'm afraid. Honestly, I don't know what to do... - tears running down Katherine's cheek. She did her best to supress them but clearly failed. It was too much to hold.

- Do not apologise, and fear nothing. As long as I'm near, no harm will come to you. It's a promise. - Daniel comforted her wiping away the tears. His fingers warm and soft against her wet cheeks.

What's happening to me? I've never gone emotional in front of people. This mystery is taking the wind out of sails.