Pleas and Cake

"MELODY!" a voice boomed through the mansion as Charles ran down the halls. He frantically peeked in every room, hoping to find the girl. But alas, they were all empty. "Melody! Please, I need your help."

Charles was close to crying as he stumbled over the edge of the rug. It was early in the morning and he was already running around. His olive skin shone with sweat as his breath came out in short huffs.

"I swear! If you don't come out right this second I'm going to die!" he cried as tears collected in his eyes. His chest was heaving up and down as he ran out of breath.

The hallway stretched out forever as if it would never end. Charles' dark hair stood out in a frenzy as his green eyes frantically searched for any sight of the tall brunette. His tall chef's hat stood askew on top of his head. This was not how the day was supposed to start. It was supposed to be a brilliant day out, the sun shining and the birds chirping. He was supposed to have a great day in the kitchen, having not a care in the world other than making sure to use flour instead of sugar... That was not a fun day. But instead, here he is. Looking like he ran a marathon and is about to die. Charles was about to lose hope just before he heard a familiar annoyed sigh.

"Ugh, what do you want now you blabbering buffoon?" It was like a melody to his ears, no pun intended.

"Oh, Melody! The saviour of my life, the most amazing person to ever walk this planet, the most-"

"Ok, ok, I get it! What do you want?" Melody snapped as her bright green eyes levelled into a glare.

Charles gulped as sweat began to form on his forehead. It was a glare that could get anyone quivering. Well, anyone except for her. Nothing could ever make her flinch, let alone quiver. And if you're ever the victim of one of her glares you better run for the hills. Actually, it's best to just accept your fate, you wouldn't make it ten feet without her catching up. She's terrifying and a vicious beast when she wants to be, especially when she's in a bad mood. Which she was in now. She had stomped down the hallway with a vicious glare, scaring the life out of the poor chef and definitely taking a few years off his life.

"She's in a bad mood. I caught her trying to burn holes in the walls as she walked down the hallway to the kitchen. She then looked right at me! I swear I lost ten years of my life just by the way her eyes glared at me! I don't want to die today!" Charles sobbed as he fell to his knees.

"You won't die you idiot!" Melody snapped as she sidestepped him and continued down the hall. "Just make her a good breakfast and you should be good. Don't make her any madder than she already is."

Charles nervously chuckled as he wrung his hands together before muttering a few words.

"What?"

"I-I said that we're out of eggs and strawberries..."

"Welp. Roses or lilies?" Melody asked as she stared Charles down. "I must know which one to put on your coffin at your funeral."

"You said that with way too much enthusiasm. And I don't want to die! Just help me this one time, please! While I make the other dishes could you please go down to the market and buy some before she realizes! Please! I'm begging you!" Charles begged as tears gathered in his eyes. He was even pulling out the puppy dog eyes!

Melody grits her teeth together as she thinks about it.

"I'll make your favourite cake."

"Deal," Melody said with glee as her face brightened into a smirk. "Seven-layer cake, each a different flavour, ten types of icing, chocolate dripping everywhere, as well as a few sweet treats sprinkled around the place. Oh! And you'll need to..."

Charles could already feel his face aging a hundred years at all the sleep and ingredients he would lose to this as she kept rambling on. He kept reminding himself that it was for life. It was to keep living. It was to not die yet.

"Yes yes, I'll make it if you go get everything from the market. Please, my life depends on it!" Charles begged as he cried on the inside.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic."

"I'm not."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>*<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Cecelia! Get your but down here!" An angry voice echoed through the small cottage-like home.

A girl was currently scurrying around her room trying to finish up before her mother got any madder. She grabbed her satchel that sat on her small light blue bed as the brown shone nicely in the light. It was an old satchel but precious nonetheless. It was the last thing she had of her father who had passed months before. Cecelia smiled absent-mindedly as she swung it over her head.

"Cecelia! Did you die up there or what!?" Cecelia rolled her eyes at this but sped nonetheless.

Quickly looking at herself in the mirror she made sure that her wavy brown hair was in place and her glasses weren't askew. Her pale skin emitted a glow in the light as her brown eyes sparkled with child-like excitement. Cecelia quickly scurried out of the room and down the stairs before she stumbled on the last step, making her tumble the rest of the way. She quickly shot upright to see her mother standing in the doorway with an amused expression on her face. A spatula rested in her hands as she waved it threateningly in her direction.

"Sorry," Cecelia murmured as she dusted off her dress and rubbed the back of her neck. "I was almost done."

Her mom sighed before gesturing to the door. "Do you mind going out to the market? We're short on eggs and the chickens ain't laying anything but crap and actual chickens. Which we don't need!" She yelled the last part out the window where at least twenty other chickens clucked back. "I swear they're mocking me. I may just cook them for dinner tonight."

Cecelia chuckled as I slowly started inching toward the door. "Eggs, got it. I'll be back in less than an hour."

Cecelia loved her mom but sometimes it could get a bit crazy. Since her dad had passed a few months prior it was just Cecelia, her mom, and the cat that kept running away. Just as she was about to reach the door her mom called out again.

"Oh! Be careful when you go! I heard there is a grumpy hag stomping around the market cursing at the world. Now, how do you catch a chicken..."