Your Bones

Your Bones - Chelsea Cutler

"I love you down to your bones

Naked and afraid, they tell me that's when you know,

I feel you takin' me home,

Dusk until the dawn, you're where I wanna go"

Daniel's house is where you always felt the most at home, even more so when you just got to spend the day with him uninterrupted. Slowly approaching the first anniversary of dating, you were spending more and more time there. The two of you were inseparable at this point, spending countless nights together before needing to go back to your own apartment.

Today felt different though and you don't know if you just got a good night's sleep or if something is in the air. You spent the afternoon cuddled into his arm on the couch, just enjoying some time together since the weather ruined your original plans.

The skies are gray and the rain hasn't stopped since you opened your eyes. Making the best of it by lighting some candles and putting on movies, you aren't going to complain in the slightest.

"Y/N, have I ever told you how much I love the rain?" he mumbles into the top of your head, placing a small kiss there at the end of his question. You simply nod 'yes' in response, because he tells you everytime it rains that he loves it 'because it's soothing', which makes you giggle to yourself as you think of it.

"You know what I love even more though-" he speaks, causing your eyes to go wide and your heartbeat to pick up. You hadn't said 'I love you' to each other yet even though you had been together for a while and now the possibility of it happening in this moment, instantly caused you to panic. Not that you didn't love him or that you thought he didn't feel the same, but it's a big moment for a couple usually and you were unprepared for it to happen in this moment.
"Thunderstorms," he spits out. "The thunder sounds similar to some of my drums"

Sitting up to look at him, you pull his face in with both hands to plant a quick kiss to the bridge of his nose causing him to close his eyes with a soft smile.

"You're the cutest human I've ever met" you whisper to him. Turning your head to look out the window again, you see the sky light up quickly. Waiting for the rumble to follow closely behind, you realize that maybe today IS the day to tell him. Looking at the rain falling knowing that this is his favorite type of weather, especially as his smile grows when the thunder hits, you know exactly what you're going to do.

Standing up from the couch, you reach your hands out to him.

"What are we doing, sweetheart?" He questions you as he stands up, following behind you with your hands clasped together as you lead him to the front door. Opening the door quickly, revealing the gloomy scenery in all its glory, you pull him outside into the driveway.

"You said you love the rain, so I thought we should enjoy it the right way" you tell him through soft laughs, as you feel the rain hitting your skin. His smile could light up a room and the look in his eyes was enough of a reward, you didn't even need him to speak anything else.

Immediately spinning you out and pulling you back in, he holds one of your hands out, wrapping his other arm around your waist. Both of you are just giggling as the rain soaks through your clothes, slow dancing to the sound of the storm in his driveway is something you never thought of doing but now, you couldn't imagine spending today doing anything else. You rest your head against his shoulder, soaking in this feeling that's become so overwhelming. You feel your own heart swell, slowly picking up speed until you feel like it's going to pound its way out of your chest. You press your hand against him, noticing he must be feeling the same thing because you can feel every little beat.

"Hold on," you tell him, breaking away from him quickly. You run inside to grab your keys, quickly making your way back to your car. You turn it on and plug your phone in, frantically scrolling through your music until you have a second of clarity. You open the album, choosing the song calmly because you know at this moment, this is what needs to happen. Turning the volume up, you walk back over to him, he's watching you like you created the moon and stars.

"I want you to listen to this one," you tell him while wrapping your arms around him again. The cool feeling of his damp shirt against the side of your face as you rest against him while the song plays.

'I love you down to your bones'

Grabbing your hand, he presses a light kiss to the back of it and on your knuckles before he begins to sway again, this time lining up with the beat of the music. Occasionally spinning you away from him, only to pull you back in.

'Naked and afraid, they tell me that's when you know'

He dips you, holding you in this position for an extra beat just to admire you.

"You're so beautiful" he whispers, so he can still hear the song. Pulling you back up to him he lets go of your hand, but weaves it into your hair pulling you close. Leaning you against his chest he continues to rock back and forth. You feel your stomach tighten at this gesture.

'I feel you takin' me home,

Dusk until the dawn, you're where I wanna go'

Knowing the song's almost over, you know this is your chance. You slide your hands up, until they're rested at the base of his neck, locking your fingers together. Staring into his eyes, everything feels calm- everything feels right.

"You know I mean it though, right?" you quietly come out with it. His eyes sparkle darting between yours, glancing at your lips. He leans down pressing his lips against yours and you swear you can feel them shaking, he rests his hands on either side of your face holding your jaw as he deepens the kiss. The rain drops making their way down your cheeks and the thunder rumbling, you feel him start to smile into you.

"I love you too, baby."