07

07 - An Explosive Turn

ZARA

The man was insufferable.

He was like a child, throwing a tantrum when things didn't go his way, growling and fussing about like the world was on fire. Why did fate have to pair me with this sad excuse of an Alpha? Then again, all Alphas were sad excuses as leaders of their packs. They were ruthless, vile creatures that didn't deserve the devotion and respect their pack members gave them.

"He's your mate?" I heard Rebecca question.

I scoffed and muttered, "Unfortunately."

I didn't have to look at her to feel her sense of shock. In fact, the entire room was pin-drop quiet during our little conversation, so I wouldn't be surprised if they all heard every bit of it.

"You hit the goldmine, Zara! The sexiest Alpha of the largest pack as your mate? That's -"

"Ridiculous and complete bullshit," I finished for her, "my mate wouldn't lock me in a cell."

"Yeah, well..." she trailed off and I nodded as if expecting the lack of rebuttal. I only said what was true. The Big Bad Alpha already had his life planned out from what I could see, he didn't need me. He didn't want me.

You can't say that Zara, my wolf protested but I ignored her too. In life, you can only judge people from their actions, not their thoughts and well wishes. If he wanted me, he would have shown that by now. Instead, he was constantly questioning me on who I was and who sent me here. That isn't a mate, that's an Alpha.

"At least you can get out of here," a raspy voice sounded from the other side of the room. He was right. The stupid, sexy Alpha ripped the cell door right off and I was standing in an unguarded cell. A smirk came to my lips before I looked around for an exit or a window I could easily slip through.

If only I could...

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of harsh footsteps coming through the door. My ears detected three different sets and before I knew it three men were standing in front of me. I recognized one of them, the one that stood in front of the other two. He was in the dull room that they brought me in for questioning, standing right beside their precious Alpha.

"Well you must be the... rogue that Haden was talking about," he started, "I believe he would like to see you in his office."

I stared at him unmoving then glanced at the two men behind him who wore stoic looks on their faces.

"Oh, don't worry about them, it's just procedure for them to be here. I'm Connor, the Gamma of this pack," he introduced himself, stretching out his hand to me. I glanced down at his outstretched hand for a minute then glanced back at him, noticing that he didn't falter. There was definitely a sense of calmness that surrounded him. I could tell he was the level-headed one.

Slowly, my hand met his and I responded, "Zara."

He smiled.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful girl, now let's get going. The Alpha will want you in his office when he gets back from his run."

Connor stepped back and started walking towards the door but the other two men didn't move until I exited the cell and followed him. So much for my plan of escape.

Greenery surrounded us as Connor and I walked towards a stony pathway and through the gardens. Looking further out, the evening sky hung above us and I saw an open field with children playing in the grass with mothers sitting by and watching them play. The sun was almost down, the golden hue disappearing beyond the trees with every passing second.