Part VI: Marriage?

After their passionate moment on the beach, the lovers left to join the rest. On their walk to the castle, a guard had called for the older princess. Their son was hurt from a scuffle between the children.

Visenya grabbed Rhaenyra's hand and ran to the room their family was in.

"Jace?"

"Luke!" Rhaenyra panicked.

"Show me." She rushed to her son.

Visenya was pulled back by Daemon, which made her glare at him.

"Stay out of it." He whispered, and she scoffed. "I am no coward." She spat and pulled free from his grip.

"Stand with your daughters, it is they who lost their mother." She snapped at her father, who sighed but nodded.

She watched the woman she loved defend their sons as the woman she had once felt affection for fought relentlessly.

Rhaenyra was worried that somehow Visenya would fall for the Hightower's charm and turn against her and their sons.

She knew Visenya loved her, but she had once been fooled and did not want to get her hopes too high. After all, she still did not know those rumours were nothing more than vile insults.

"If the King will not seek justice, the Queen will. Ser Criston... bring me the eye of Lucerys Velaryon." Alicent demanded.

"Mother!" Luke panicked, gripping onto Rhaenyra.

"Alicent." The king tried stopping her.

"He can choose which eye to keep, a privilege he did not grant my son." The green queen was on a mission, and she wasn't going to be deterred.

Tearing her eyes away from Alicent, she watched Visenya grab Ser Criston when Alicent demanded he take their son's eye. She watched Visenya ruthlessly beat the knight until another pulled her off.

Forced to watch as her sons went through similar battles she had been forced through. How she wished to yell at the people for how impossibly stupid they were. Whether conceived in wedlock or not, they were pure Targaryen blood.

"You will do no such thing. Stay your hand." King Viserys spoke to the knight who got up again.

"No, you are sworn to me!" Alicent snapped once more. "As your protector, my queen." Criston replied softly his busted lip straining, knowing that in front of all these people, he could not obey her.

"Alicent, this matter... is finished. Do you understand? And let it be known that anyone whose tongue dares to question the birth of Princess Rhaenyra's sons should have it removed." King Viserys declared to the room.

"Thank you, Father." Rhaenyra nearly whispered worried when she spotted the busted lip of her lover.

Alicent enraged by the damage her son suffered as well as her sworn knight and Rhaenyra getting her way. While the King did not do as she wished, she lashed out.

Rhaenyra barely had time to turn, and she grabbed Alicent's hand and shoulder, holding her away from her son, who cried out in panic.

"You've gone too far." Rhaenyra spoke with a strangled breath as she fought her old friend off. There were shouts around the room, but they seemed to be drowned out, unheard. "I?" Alicent asked in disbelief.

"What have I done but what was expected of me? Forever upholding the kingdom, the family, the law. While you flout it all to do as you please." The queen was furious and being pushed beyond limit.

"Alicent, let her go!"

"Where is duty? Where is sacrifice? It's trampled under your pretty foot again." She went on.